Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can't export an After Effects project as an Adobe Premiere Pro project

Apr 5, 2013 12:01 PM

I've created a really simple After Effects composition (Comp 1): One animated text layer that uses the Animate In - Straight in By Word Preset.

I tried File - Export - Adobe Premier Pro Project.

But when I open the new file in Adobe Premier Pro,  I get the following message:

The preset used by one of more sequences in this project requires third-party components that could not be located. These sequences will be modified to use a custom sequence setting instead. To continue editing using the original preset, quit the application without saving the project, re-install any third-party components that are required and reopen the project. OK

When I press OK I just get an empty Premier Pro Workspace. Comp 1 appears in the Project box - but that's it!

I do have some 3rd party components. They are all in a folder in Animation Presets beside the official folder called Presets. But the Preset I've used is a standard Adobe Preset - nothing third party. I also wondered if the problem was the text? - but I've tried it in Arial and Helvetica and still get the same message.

PS. The reason I wanted to try this message was to see if layer under the text would be transparent - please let me know if there is a better/alternative way of doing this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2013 12:07 PM   in reply to RalphDCW

please let me know if there is a better/alternative way of doing this?

Yeah:  Use the AE Render Queue for your AE comp.  Rewnder it in the media container and codec of your choice.  Import the file into Premiere.  Done.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 1:47 PM   in reply to RalphDCW

There is no need to set up your project to give you two files. Either render to a codec that supports an aplya chanel or open the AE project directly in Premier Pro. You do need matching versions to do this. CS6 AE and CS6 PPro. I would not export the AE project as a PPro project, I would add your AE project to PPro.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 11:18 PM   in reply to RalphDCW
    1. If your suggestion of rendering using a different media container / codec is quicker and easier for importing After Effects into Premier Pro with a transparent background? And if so, can you give me an example of which media container & codec will do the trick?

E.g. PNG, TGA, which are installed with Adobe Suite and available as both image sequence and QuickTime movie. UT Video, DNxHD, ProRes (Mac only) requires separate installation and available in either AVI (UT Video on a PC) or MOV container. Etc.

2. Back to my original question: Even if exporting an After Effects project as an Adobe Premier Pro Project doesn't actually solve my problem of needing a transparent background, does it work at all? Because it seems to me that my test (single text layer with one single Adobe Preset Text effect applied) is about as simple as you can get with After Effects. So it that doesn't output to Premier Pro, what can?

When you export your AE project as PrPro project, PrPro tries its best to convert keyframes, effects and everything else in the same way as if you copy and paste an AE layer into PrPro sequence. However, it can't convert to anything those things, which do not exist in PrPro. See this and that help sections.

See also this help section on rendering.

As Rick said, aside from rendering your AE composition you can use Dynamic Link so as to bring your AE compositions into PrPro project. Although you can import into PrPro project AE compositions from different Suite versions, so that Dynamic Link would work as a two way road (i.e. so that you would be able to send a clip or a group of clips from your Timeline in PrPro project into AE via Dynamic Link) you need matching versions of PrPro and AE. What is more, prior to CS6 Adobe Dynamic Link requires Production Premium or Master Collection installed. Since CS6 you need just PrPro and AE.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 2:58 AM   in reply to RalphDCW

PrPro doesn't have such thing as a text layer. What you can create in PrPro Titler is a different story. That's why you get an empty sequence in your PrPro project.

For better understanding, when it is wise to rely on Dynamic Link and when - on a digital intermediate, see this thread in PrPro Forum. Pay attention to Todd's comments.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points