Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

"Acrobat failed to load its Core DLL"

Apr 5, 2013 1:29 PM

For Acrobat reader, I get the following error:

"Acrobat failed to load its Core DLL" - I tried installing, uninstalling, reinstalling, repairing - no difference.

I tried different versions of reader - the most recent, and the oldest available - no difference.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2013 11:49 PM   in reply to nlmdep123

I don't know if this helps - I haven't received any respons from the many similar posts in this forum.

Download, unzip and run the attached registry script; it will disable Protected Mode for Reader XI.

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 5:26 AM   in reply to nlmdep123

Which operating system are you on? and which Virus scanner do you use?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 1:05 PM   in reply to nlmdep123

When the core library does not work anymore, Acrobat / Reader can no longer run because the components it depends on do not load.

> Enable the hidden Admin Account on Windows 7 ( Ref :  http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-adminis trator-account-on-windows-vista/ )

> Disable all Non-Microsoft Startup Services. (Ref : http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/disable-startup-items-servic es-windows.html )

> Disable all the Antivirus softwares temporarily from the computer.

This error is known for conflicting Antivirus softwares like CA, Norton,Mc Afee etc.

> Delete the all the contents in the locations mentioned in the doc :

http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/problems-uninstalling-reader.html

Note: It's possible that your system doesn't contain all of the files and folders listed in this document. If you do not find a listed file or folder on your system, proceed to the next file or folder on the list.

> Reboot the computer and install Adobe Reader 11 and check

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 8:29 PM   in reply to nlmdep123

As dozens of other similar topics in this forum now indicate, the error may be the result of a rootkit infection.

Google for "scan for rootkits" and check your computer for such an infection.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 8:24 AM   in reply to nlmdep123

The work around is to copy everything from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader" and paste is to "C:\" I have no idea why it works, it just works. Adobe needs to look into this. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 6:41 AM   in reply to MJP_User

Hi Everyone,

The Adobe team has been working on this issue offline and with many of our customers over phone calls and emails. The investigations have concluded that this break is caused due to the presence of malware on the system. We have been able to see significant success with the use of Kaspersky TDSSKiller tool. Many users on the forums had reported the same and we have also been able to confirm results with some infected machines.

If you are facing this issue, we recommend running the tool on your system. For installation and usage instructions, please refer to “How to disinfect a compromised system” on http://support.kaspersky.com/5350?el=88446

We are continuing investigations and will post an update as soon as we have further details.

Thanks to everyone who posted in and provided details. Given that the cause was an infection, detecting and isolating it without your support would have been near impossible.

Regards,

Deepak

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2013 11:27 AM   in reply to Deepak Chauhan

Thank you DEEPAK!

I did exactly what you suggested and it worked EXCELLENT! You do not know how much important it was for me to use Reader.

Three cheers to you and Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2013 12:48 PM   in reply to nlmdep123

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers