Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign Crashing, Can't export PDF. Please help.

Apr 5, 2013 1:54 PM

Tags: #indesign #crashing #desperate

I recently converted a 70+ document InDesign book project from CS 5.5 to CS6. I've also transitioned over to a new computer, being sure that all my plugins are the same on both computers. Somewhere along the way, I stopped being able to export a PDF of this particular book.

I've tried everything I know to do:

• Deleted preference
  • Deleted InDesign caches
  • Exported all files from INDD to IDML, and then back again.
  • Converted all cross references to DTP Tool x-ref Pro.
  • Created a new book file and moved all my fresh INDD files there.
  • Exported just a few documents at a time.
  • Tried exporting with different PDF settings
  • Tried exporting Interactive PDF
  • Tried exporting flattened PDF...

Sometimes, the book hangs at about 75%, other times, it crashes it I just try to export the first few chapters only. When InDesign locks up at the 75% mark, my entire computer locks up, and I get a gray screen with nothing but the InDesign splash screen. Then I have to force restart. But then I have to normally restart, as whenever I force restart, my external hard drives (where my book is located) become read only.

I have done everything I know to export a PDF of this book. I don't know what to do... I am desparate. Anyone out there who can take a look at my crash report and interpret it for me?

I have posted it on paste bin: http://pastebin.com/YmRXqsfc

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2013 4:40 PM   in reply to Document Geek

This is some sort of problem with text, possibly a bad font, or maybe a corrupt style.

Are you able to export the files individually from the files themselves rather than the Book?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 5:05 PM   in reply to Document Geek

But you are not able to export even a few from the Book?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 5:20 PM   in reply to Document Geek

Inter-doc cross-refs? Those are known to be troublesome.

Have you considered trying to combine the chapters into a single file?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2013 5:34 PM   in reply to Document Geek

Well, I don't have a lotof other great ideas.

If you have an auto-activation plugin for a font manager, remove it from the plugins folder and activate the fonts manually. Troubleshoot the fonts (see Troubleshoot fonts | Mac OS X), and clear the font caches using a utility like Cocktail.

Export the chapter files to .idml again, and resave as new .indd files (back up the old ones, first, though, becasue with cross refs I think you'll have to overwrite the old files or they'll break (have you actually verified them to be sure they're OK now?). Make a new .indb file and add the new chapter files again.

Beyond that you're getting into things like trying to move pages into anew document, or rebuilding chapters from tagged text exported from the current files.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 5:09 AM   in reply to Document Geek

Export that works on two halves separately, but not on the whole, usually indicates not quite enough machine resources to process the whole file, and as far as I know CS5.5 won't solve that. My guess is it's probably a hard drive free-space or limit on the size of the swap file that's at the root of the problem, but I don't know for sure. Short of making the space, I think the only workaround is the one you are using.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 8:50 AM   in reply to Document Geek

ID is a 32 bit application, so it's only able to adress a bit more than 3 gb of Ram, so the rest of waht's on your system is only helping by bing available for other programs to run simultaneously. Sounds like you have plenty of free space, though.

I would definitely try moving the files to the hard drive. Alaways safer than working on removeable media.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points