jvels
Currently Being Moderated

Delete part of shape/layer

Apr 5, 2013 1:49 PM

Tags: #layer #elements_11

Hi

I have this in Elements 11:

adobe_el.png

I would like to delete/remove the part of layer/shape 10 there outside of layer/shape9. How do I do that?

Best Regards

Jesper Vels

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,863 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2013 2:33 PM   in reply to jvels

Probably easiest to make a selection around the green area and press Ctrl+J to place it on its own transparent layer.

You can then switch off the layers below by clicking on the eye symbols as required.

adobe_el.png

EDIT

I should have said if it’s almost your final deign it is easiest to work on a flattened image re-saved under a new file name (Layer >> Flatten Image) and then make your selection.

If you intend to make further design changes then you should try a layer mask on layer 10 and paint out the unwanted area with a brush and foreground color set to black. You can switch to white, to correct, if you make a mistake.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2013 7:38 PM   in reply to jvels

Perhaps loading a selection of Shape 9 and then adding a layer mask to Shape 10 would work.

(Ctrl click on the layer Shape 9 layer thumbnail in the layers panel to get the selection)

Also, if you move the Shape 9 layer below the shape 10 layer and create a clipping mask, that might work as well.

(after moving shape 9, make shape 10 the active layer and press Ctrl+G to create the clipping mask)

(from the menu Layer>Create Clipping Mask)

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2013 4:37 AM   in reply to jvels

Ctrl-click Shape 9 in the Layers Palette to select just the shape.

Invert the selection.

Activate Shape 10 and delete the selection.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points