Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Any way to update lost links?

Apr 5, 2013 3:58 PM

I have a file with many links in it. I have moved all of the links to various different folders on my hard drive. Is there any way for illustrator to AUTOMATICALLY search for and locate the linked files? It is a pain in the rumpola to have to manually search for and update each link. I should have organized the files better to begin with. It seems like AI should be able to search my hard drive and at least find all of the files with the same name of the file that it is missing... Then I would just be able to click on the proper file and update it. Currently, I have to type in the name of the file manuall and search my hard drive. Doing this for hundreds of files takes way too long. Does anyone feel may pain? LOL  Are there any other solutions? Mac 10.6.8 / CS6

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2013 4:34 PM   in reply to saysf1

Nope. You have to target them.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 7:45 AM   in reply to saysf1

Change this setting in your preferences. You will need to point Ilustrator to one fo the missing files, and the balance will be found if they are in the same folder.

Screen Shot 2013-04-09 at 9.40.44 AM.png

Wills has the added benefit of searching all the enclosing folders, but you may get stuck a long time doing that if you have lots of files.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 8:17 AM   in reply to saysf1

Atleast you learned the importance of keeping links organized, we all went through that at one time.

You have to be diligent with filenames. We never use the same filename to avoid the problems you are having with locating adn linking to the msot recent version. Use a revision number at the end of your file(eg: STB_TAG_Carton_69893_27aMG) to help.

Thanks for bringing willhouse to light and letting us know about the pros and cons of the software.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points