Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Batch rename won't keep the extension on some files only

Apr 6, 2013 1:59 AM

Tags: #bridge #batch #rename

I have all my shrunk (resized to smaller for web) files in a sub folder. I got the idea here somewhere to rename such files by adding " _sm " this way being able to distinguish from the two when doing a search. In batch renaming something strange happened:some files did not keep their extension. How could this be and why? There was also no undo (Why?) so i decided to rename them once again this time replacing the "_sm" with ".jpg" in order to fool Bridge and place the files back to their original names and extensions.

Anyhow is there a reason why it would not keep the extension on some files while keep it on others? Since it's doing this in batch, therefore processing many files at once there's gotta be a reason why it would not treat all files as equals and I'm thinking that perhaps it has something to do with how I name my files.

Thank you

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2013 4:03 AM   in reply to pintree3

If you select the opion to preserve the previous file name when batch renaming in Bridge then it's easy to revert… The old name will be stored in the files meta data…

Screen shot 2013-04-06 at 12.00.38.png

If you have renamed the files again then I think this will have been overwritten… I think the property is name string and NOT array of name strings…

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2013 5:44 AM   in reply to pintree3

Anyhow is there a reason why it would not keep the extension on some files while keep it on others? Since it's doing this in batch,

Bridge is not good in multitasking and trying so can lead to incomplete results. So when you activate a batch rename session you have to wait for this task to be completed before starting other tasks. Maybe you did not wait to finish each task?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points