Skip navigation
Diana Barrett
Currently Being Moderated

smart objects

Apr 6, 2013 5:40 AM

I recently purchased Nik Software for use with Lightroom and Elements 9. It appears that the recommended use of "smart objects" is not available in Elements 9, but I have seen Elements videos describing the use of smart objects. Would I need to purchase Elements Premiere to acquire access to "smart objects"?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2013 6:44 AM   in reply to Diana Barrett

Premiere Elements is video editing software. The word "premiere" means that is the junior version of Adobe's big video software, Premiere, not that it is a more deluxe version of PSE.

Elements has very limited use of smart objects and if you want to follow the way it is done in current versions of Photoshop, you would need to buy Photoshop CS6, not video editing software.

What do you want to do with smart objects?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 7:34 AM   in reply to Diana Barrett

That is instructions for using the elements+ add-on. More info about elements+ here:

http://elementsplus.net/index.htm

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 7:47 AM   in reply to Diana Barrett

Diana,

You can open as a smart layer in PSE11 with the Elements+ add-on. I don't have Nik Software...

I have added the 'TPG Elemental' plug-in from Daw Matt in Lightroom, which has the option to open a file in PSE11 as a smart layer.  Are you using Lightroom ?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 8:22 AM   in reply to Diana Barrett

Diana Barrett wrote:

I'm a little confused about Elements+ add-on, is that an Adobe product or a plug-in from another company? My only interest in "smart objects" is to be able to edit in the Nik software non-destructively.

Diana

Elements+ is not an Adobe product (Author : Andrei Dubrowski). It's a very affordable set of actions/scripts including some smart objects features missing in Elements.

From the following link, I assume TPG Elemental (a donationware plugin) is compatible with your Lightroom 2.7.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail& extid=1986026

As I don't have Nik software, I can only suppose both solutions would work. Maybe there is a user forum for Nik software to ask from ?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 8:29 AM   in reply to Diana Barrett

Diana,

Last finding:

That thread may be interesting for Nik users in Elements:

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77683

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...