Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I make all clips the same brightness?

Apr 6, 2013 12:06 PM

Tags: #premiere_elements11

I'm editing a four-minute video with ten clips, opening and closing titles, and a graphic. It's essentially a talking head presentation. The sound from a lapel mic is good as is the framing. But we used available lighting coming through a large window. So the top of the frame, the white background, is a little darker than the bottom. Also some clips are somewhat overall darker than others.

Is there a way that I could make them all the same brightness? In the Adjust panel I can select only one clip at a time to change the lighting. It would be neat if there was an action that would make all the clips equally bright.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2013 2:40 PM   in reply to Tommyvincent

Tommyvincent wrote:

Is there a way that I could make them all the same brightness? In the Adjust panel I can select only one clip at a time to change the lighting. It would be neat if there was an action that would make all the clips equally bright.

Yes, there is.  Assuming you have several similar clips, you make all the adjustments you think they all will need to one clip.  Then, select the adjusted clip, right click, "Copy".  Select the rest of the similar clips, right click and "Paste Effects and Adjustments".  All the clips will now have the same adjustments.

Make this an early part of the work because ALL effects and adjustments are applied.  After this first and primary adjustment is made, more adjustments can be made to individual clips.

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 2:41 PM   in reply to Tommyvincent

Because there's so much variation in your lighting, you'll need to adjust each clip manually. No automatic fix can accommodate all of the variations you describe.

How you do this depends on which version of the program you're using.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 3:43 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

I misunderstood.  I thought the OP said the 10 clips were a "talking head" in one position with the same light source.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 11:51 AM   in reply to Tommyvincent

Tommy,

Even with the Copy/Paste Effects (was Paste Attributes) method, one can still go in and tweak the various attributes of the Effect (except for some Auto Effects).

I use Bill's method, even when I know that each Clip will need to be tweaked individually, as it gets the Effect w/ general settings, onto each Clip. Then, I just step through, tweaking, as is necessary.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points