Skip navigation
Wildflower123
Currently Being Moderated

Display pages individually

Apr 6, 2013 11:39 AM

InDesign displays pages side by side when the intent is to print as a book, with page numbers adjusted left or right depending on even or odd-numbered page. This presents a problem with bleeds, however. Is it possible to display pages individually, even though there will be facing pages in the printed book, so bleeds can be set on each page all around?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2013 11:45 AM   in reply to Wildflower123

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 10:41 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I have a  print vendor that I am working with that requires bleeds at the spine (especially for coil bound books).

It seems to me to be a glaring oversight that the current bleed settings cause art to print onto the facing page when it is RIP'ed.

Why there isn't an easy way to show and hide the spine bleed so that the page elements could be pulled into bleed to meet a printer's requirement is beyond me.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 11:18 AM   in reply to bobreid

Seems to me that the information in the link is pretty straightforward.

But beyond that, how are you setting up the page width? Does it include the drilled area for the coil binding?

Also, how many pages are actually affected? The only time this is an issue is if there is art that abuts the spine that does not actually cross over. As long as the bleed allowance at the spine is blank, or a continuation of the opposite page artwork, there is no problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 12:58 PM   in reply to Wildflower123

Wildflower123 wrote:

even when I TRY to make an image spill onto the adjoining page, I can't.

I don't understand what you are trying to say here...

I'm not quite sure, either, how you and Bob think an inside bleed should work. If you extend art across the spine to as bleed for one page there is no way ID is going to know that you don't intend that art to appear on the other page as well. Unless you split the spread as described the bleed IS the edge of the opposite page. I don't, personally, think adding a pair of guides at the gutter would be very helpful.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 4:01 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

The information in the link is quite clear. I am speaking to how the application represents bleed at the spine as overlapping onto the facing page.

The bleed setting could automatically cut any crossovers, or show bleeds on all sides of each page when bleed is included in preview mode, or something akin to this. As it exists right now, bleed at the spine when pages are butted is ineffective and tedious.

To answer your question, the pages are set up to trim width. This allows our design team to lay in their art and intent more intuitively. In this project's case, the book itself is perfect bound, and the vendor is requesting bleeds in the spine for grind-off.

All of the pages in the book are affected, ie, have bleed elements at both left and right edges.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 9:06 PM   in reply to bobreid

You might be more comfortable starting with a non-facing page document. That way, you could set your bleed for all four sides without having to split facing spreads.

bobreid wrote:

The bleed setting could automatically cut any crossovers…

If you stop the bleed where it crosses the spine, it isn't a bleed any longer, and you can already do that. You can also use facing pages and increase the width of your page to include a bleed area at the spine and make crop marks in the bleed area instead of using automatic crops.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2013 5:26 AM   in reply to bobreid

bobreid wrote:

All of the pages in the book are affected, ie, have bleed elements at both left and right edges.

That may be a very difficult book to read. I hope there's nothing of importance that bleeds into the spine because odds are your readers won't be able to actually see it without breaking the binding. And what goes into the grind-off is cut away, so it really doesn't matter.

But maybe your inside bleed elements are crossovers of some sort. That's fine, and you needn't do anything special to handle that.

Remember that bleed is color that extends beyond the page edge, and what is beyond the page edge at the spine on a spread is the opposite page. There are basically three cases for what can happen at the spine, and I've made three screen captures to illustrate them. I've included manually placed guides to show the inside bleeds.

Case 1: There is no content of any sort in the inner margin (or you have some sort of uniform background color):

Inside Bleed-1.png

Case 2: Similar to case 1, but there is some sort of non-uniform cross-over, such as a photo, or in this case a crummy illustration:

Inside Bleed-2.png

Case 3: There is an actual hard color break at the spine with elements that do not cross over:

Inside Bleed-3.png

I hope you can see that in cases 1 & 2 you actually want what is on the opposite page in the blled area to be used as the bleed for each page, and that only case 3 requires that the spread be split to accomodate an inside bleed.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2013 3:06 PM   in reply to Wildflower123

Wildflower123 wrote:

A minor point: The blue block in Peter's Case #3 does not appear to go into the bleed areas on the top, bottom, and outer edges. The reader would almost certainly see a thin white border at one or more of those edges in the printed document. Neither the blue or orange blocks would spill onto the adjoining pages to any significant degree, though, and that's a good thing!

You caught me. I wasn't really worried about the outer edge bleeds in my examples, but of course that Cyan background should extend to the bleed guides all around for printing.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points