Skip navigation
WMH-3
Currently Being Moderated

PrE 11 Causes Screen Refresh Failure

Apr 6, 2013 2:33 PM

Tags: #display_problem #premiere_elements_11 #screen_refresh #windows_7_pro_64

I am working on a relatively new (less than six months out of the factory) Lenovo W530 laptop and whenever I move the window containing PrE around on the display it leaves a continuous trail behind wherever the window has been, as per this example.

PrE_Overwrite-Screenshot_2013-04-06a.jpg

The really baffling thing is that this problem does NOT happen with any other program I use, including Photshop Elements. I will note that forcing a screen refresh (F5) will restore the underlying desktop display but not any other windows that have been overwritten.

I have updated all video drivers to the most current (see notes below) and have deleted the BadDrivers.txt file as suggested in the support forum.

I am running Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) with a 1.0Tb hard drive and 8.0Gb of main memory. My laptop display is controlled by an Intel HD Graphics 4000 with driver version 9.17.10.2843 which is dated 08-21-2012. (I did discover that an updated driver has just been released from Intel in the last week, but that version is not available from Lenovo yet.)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome. Many thanks in advance for your  consideration.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2013 2:39 PM   in reply to WMH-3

Onboard Intel graphics probably isn't powerful enough to refresh this program.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 12:03 PM   in reply to WMH-3

PrE needs to interface more closely with the video driver, than almost any other program that one is likely to encounter, with the exception of extreme games and real 3D editors.

Intel makes great chips, but has had a horrible track record, regarding updating the video drivers. For most general computing, that is not really much of an issue, but with PrE (and PrPro, Photoshop CS 6 and After Effects CS 6), it IS an issue.

Though my older laptop has an nVidia GeForce 8800M GTX chip (with great driver support), I have run into the same issue, as you have - for the XP-Pro OS, and that nVidia chip, the driver support has ceased. I need to update my OS to at least Win7, to use the latest nVidia drivers - no more XP-Pro support. I get the same trails, and some other anomalies. Luckily, I have a new laptop with the latest nVidia chip and Win7-Pro "in the mail."

I also have found that PrE 11 really, really needs the latest video driver support, from both nVidia and AMD/ATI, which release new drivers for current OS's, and relatively current cards, about once per month. I doubt that Intel even has an update, but I would check on their Web site, and also Lenovo, as many laptop mfgrs. re-write drivers for their particular chips and OS's. My older PrE. PrPro, After Effects and Corel Painter, all work with my older nVidia driver, but I have issues with PrE 11.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2013 9:12 PM   in reply to WMH-3

I have the same problem on a much higher end video card.   I have a Quad core I5-760 over clocked to 3.4 Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD, AMD/ATI 7870 running at 1920x1080, Windows 7 64bit Professional.  It screams running anything and I do videos for a living.  I only got Premiere Elements 11 to edit .mts files.  All of my other programs work great, premiere elements 11 is the only one that cannot refresh itself fast enough to redraw it on I made the following video and put it on youtube.com  http://youtu.be/5LWuWrPT3Zs

I just bought Premiere Elements 11, downloaded it today, installed it today.   updated premiere elements, windows and my AMD/ATI video drivers to the latest versions and its still a problem.  I turned off some of the graphics acceleration on the video card, tried different resolutions, rebooted a few times and its still a problem.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Randy

BTW - Premiere Elements 11 trial did run on my laptop and didn't have the refresh problem but it does videos so slow that its not usable. My laptop is an acer with a 2 year old intel P6100 2.0 ghz, 8 GB, 1TB, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, 17" display, intel hd graphics.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 10:01 AM   in reply to rhilgers

Randy,

Just a thought here, and actually applying to a different program, Premiere Pro, and to nVidia cards, but perhaps you have similar controls in your AMD/ATI Catalyst console:

Some users were having similar issues with screen redraw in PrPro, with nVidia graphics cards, with the latest nVidia driver. The cause was in the settings for 3D Acceleration. When those users set the 3D Acceleration to "Let program decide," (or very similar syntax), the redraw issues disappeared.

You say that you have tried various settings, but I assume that you were working in the OS controls (BTW - Aero has caused some screen redraw issues, and in earlier OS's, users have just disabled that). Check out the setting in your Catalyst console, to see what you have available to you.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I have a similar issue (looks about the same as the OP's screen-cap, and is really noticeable in the Program Monitor), but my problem is that I am still running XP-Pro SP3 on this laptop. My nVidia GeForce 8800M GTX card has the last driver from nVidia, but with my old OS, that driver is now about 2 years old, and will never be replaced. I am stuck, until I upgrade the OS to Win7, but will probably have to stay with 32-bit, since I can only fit 4GB RAM on the laptop's old MoBo. I have a new Win7-64 laptop, as a replacement, so all is not lost.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 1:55 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Thanks ... but figured it out.  I had my 32" HD monitor connected to hdmi (which did not work) gave me the poor refresh rates, when the HD monitor is set to composite it works.   Still odd it is the only application that does not work on an hdmi connection.

The video card is set to let the program decide, turning off aero ... sounds like a bug with premiere, like telling someone to only make right turns in your car to get the window wipers to work.   Having to disable your computer to get software to work just doesn't sound right.

I'm also not nuts about the super basic ui for Premiere Elements 11, I used Premiere Elements 1 - 4 and liked it.  Now I think the new ui is stupid and limiting.  It may be easier to use for simple stuff but I want my scroll disk and sissors, want to easily hack up a clip.  It use to be a light version of premiere but now it looks like imovie instead of premiere.

Randy

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 2:09 PM   in reply to rhilgers

Glad that you got it sorted out.

As you seem to be, I am also not a fan of the streamlined GUI in later versions of PrE.

My all time favorite was PrPro CS 2's, but then PrPro CS 5/5.5's is not bad. There are enough changes, that I have not fallen in love with PrPro CS 6's GUI yet, but probably will get used to it - still, not as much streamlining, as with PrE 11. Some, however, do love the new GUI, but I am just not one of them.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points