Skip navigation
Arisaig67
Currently Being Moderated

Varying the stroke colour used in a section of a closed path.

Apr 6, 2013 3:38 PM

Hi

I'm using Illustrator CS6.

I'm working with closed paths on an illustrated character. I have a leg overlapping a body for example. The leg is essentially a 4 sided shape but I only want a stroke on 3 sides. On the 4th side I don't want a stroke on it so that the leg blends with the body. I first thought about using the shape builder tool to merge the 2  shapes to see what that would look like but they won't merge for some reason. Can't see why from the help.

Then I tried to use the width tool to drop the stroke on the 4th side down to a 0 width for the side I want ... but that didn't work either.

Can anyone tell me how I can change a closed shape so that a section of the shape has a different stroke colour (i.e. none!) from the rest of the shape? All ideas gratefully received.

Arisaig67

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2013 3:42 PM   in reply to Arisaig67

Arisaig,

What about cheating and deleting one segment/side, selecting it by clicking on it with the Direct Selection Tool?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 5:54 PM   in reply to Arisaig67

Maybe a clipping mask?

Picture 4.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 3:54 AM   in reply to Arisaig67

Arisaig,

One rather crude way would be to delete the inner leg segment as suggested, then select everything and Object>Expand (strokes will become filled paths).

If the leg and the body have the same stroke (weight etc), you may do it in this less crude but possibly too silly way resulting in just one single filled and closed path, with the leg path on top, and with View Smart Guides on:

1) Select the body path, switch to the Scissors Tool, click the two spots where the leg path crosses the body path in anticlockwise order (Smart Guides say intersect), and delete the now selected hidden bit in between;

2) Direct select the end segment of the leg and delete it;

3) Still with the Direct Selection Tool, deselect and drag over one set of corresponding leg/body path end points (avoiding other Anchor Points) and Ctrl/Cmd+J to join; if you have trouble avoiding other Anchor Points in, you may (after deselecting):

• 3a) Click the adjacent body path segment and then the end point,
    • 3b) Click the leg path end point,
    • 3c) Ctrl/Cmd+J to join;

4) Select the now joined single path and Ctrl/Cmd+J to close it (or repeat 3) for the other set).

This should give you a single closed path that follows the body shape until it reaches the leg shape, then follows the leg shape inwards to the inner end, then bends over itself and follows the leg shape to the outer end, and further round.

Of course the QA rules may rule that out, too.

Or what Steve said.

Or another way.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 3:54 AM   in reply to Arisaig67

You can use a gradient on a stroke.It does not have to be a blend between colours, you can use the same colour for the stops. Just add a transparent marker where you want the colour to disappear.

Ton

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 1:33 PM   in reply to Arisaig67

I'm looking to submit this character where the QA rules state that you shouldn't submit shapes or lines with fill colours if they're unclosed.

Have you already questioned that rule? Have you talked to your business partner in order to get the background of the rules?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 9:27 PM   in reply to Kurt Gold

You could group the closed paths, remove the stroke (or stroke and fill)at the path level. In the Appearance panel add a stroke (or stroke and fill, as I have done here) at the group level, with the stroke below the fill. Only half the stroke width is visible, so you'd have to double the stroke weight. Or you could add the stroke (or stroke and fill) at the layer level, in which case all paths on the layer would have it/them.

I'm curious about why the Shape Builder isn't working for you. Are you selecting all the paths first, and click-dragging through all the involved shapes?

Artwork.png

Edit: Sorry Kurt – obviously not in response to you.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 3:49 AM   in reply to tromboniator

Peter,

I have understood the OP to mean that the sides of the legs should show as strokes in front of the body.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 4:46 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Jacob,

I kept trying to come to that conclusion myself, but can't find the evidence to support it, hence my suggestion. Nonetheless, without more information there's no explanation for why the Shape Builder (or the Pathfinder panel) can't do the job of creating a single closed path.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 9:50 AM   in reply to Arisaig67

I am glad you liked the suggestions, but you still have not told us the reason why it's neccesary to close the path (except that somebody wants you to close the path).

Ton

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 11:14 AM   in reply to Arisaig67

Hi Airsaig,

I understand that that is something you are not able to change. It is probably a rule made by someone 20 years ago that nobody wants to change, because they have forgotten the reason why they set the rule :-).

regards,

Ton

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points