Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Image swap (rollover) plus image map hot spots!

Apr 7, 2013 6:15 AM

I have a single graphic I want to use a RollOver behaviour or an image swap when a user passes his mouse over it.. .Easy enough... BUT! I want as many as 12 Image Hot hotspots that work on the "IMAGE ROLLOVER Graphic"

If anyone wish to see my delemma...

http://www.rantingrich.com/portfoliopage.html

You will see a big rectangular graphic with a bunch of gauges on it! I want it to ROLLOVER to show a new graphic where some of my design work replaces the Gauge dial THEN I want image map hot spots on every gauge!

AS one can see the initail rollover work fine UNTIll one goes over the IMAGE map WHICH I assigned to the original Graphics

ANY CLUES?

Also can send to

[personal information deleted by moderator]

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 7, 2013 6:12 AM   in reply to rantingrich100

Hello,

looking to your source code I can see this large "graphicdesignsample2.png", in which you have worked in the images. I for my part would use individual images, being disposed adjacent to one another. Here you could mount the hotspots as well as the links.

Only a side effect: You use a directory called "RR2 Graphics samples". I would delete the blanks in it.

Hans-Günter

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 11:44 AM   in reply to rantingrich100

I don't view this as a workable web design.  It's all razzle dazzle and no substance.

#1 there is no real text anywhere on the page which is suicidal because search engines, language translators and screen readers cannot "see" images.  With images disabled, the page is blank.  No real content = no traffic to your site.

#2 Flash is a dead web technology.  The world's most popular web devices (iPhone, iPad, iTouch, Android, etc...) do not support Flash. Non-Flash supporting devices will not see the "portoflio" animation.   This could be better achieved with Adobe Edge Animate or a combination of jQuery & CSS3 transitions.

#3 What is the message of your site?  It's not clear what you're trying to communicate.  And since graphic and web design is ALL about good communication, you must make it very clear by telling people who you are, what you do & why people should hire you.  Then let examples of your work speak for itself.

Best of luck!

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 1:09 AM   in reply to rantingrich100

Hhm,

--------- del: my answer was not needed ---------

Hans-Günter

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 12:43 PM   in reply to rantingrich100

Again, look at Adobe Edge Animate (it comes with Creative Cloud membership)

http://html.adobe.com/edge/animate/

If you're not already a Cloud member, you can join the Creative Cloud for a 30-day trial.

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud.html

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 2:02 PM   in reply to rantingrich100

The Edge Animate Forum is the place to go for questions about creating Edge projects.

Once your Edge project is completed, you can export it and then import it into your DW web page with Insert > Media > Edge Animate composition.

That said, I would not build my entire page with Edge Animate, but you can use it for interactive menus, animations, rollovers, etc...

NOTE: Edge animations are not visible in pre-IE9 browsers.  If you want to support older, lesser browsers, add IE conditional comments and some alternative text links & images to your HTML page.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 2:04 PM   in reply to rantingrich100

I don't think Edge supports audio as yet.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 3:24 PM   in reply to rantingrich100

I don't.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 3:35 PM   in reply to rantingrich100

Nope. 

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 9:23 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

Thank you, Nancy, Murray.

Ratingrich100: I am the social lead for Dreamweaver. Whatever you heard is completely untrue. Am hoping that the rumor is laid to rest here.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 5:12 PM   in reply to rantingrich100

I can understand your concerns.  Keep in mind that unlike a decade ago when everyone had 800px wide screens and either Mozilla or IE browsers,  the modern web is changing at break neck speed.  We're being asked to develop sites that work on a multitude of platforms & devices with scripting languages that are constantly evolving.  With so much diversity at hand, one must stay on top of the curve or fall hopelessly behind.   Easier said than done.

GoLive and it's closest competitor, FrontPage simply couldn't keep up with these changes.  I was not surprised by GL's demise.  If anything, I'm surprised Adobe didn't pull the plug on it sooner.

I never used Freehand so I can't comment on it either way.

Flash may be dead as a web technology thanks in part to the late Steve Jobs and advances in HTML5, CSS3 and JavaScript (think Edge Animate).  However, it continues to thrive in other sectors such as game development.

DW  is necessarily evolving by dropping  deprecated features and adding newer, relevant ones.  I believe this bodes well for the longevity of the product.

That said, I don't think it's possible for one app to deliver everything and do it well.  New technologies shape the need for new solutions. I think that's what Adobe is attempting to address with its line of Edge products, etc....  IMO, these should be regarded as complimentary apps rather than flat out replacements for  DW.

Just my 2 cents.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points