Skip navigation
Nature Mike
Currently Being Moderated

How do I lower the volume in the Source monitor?

Apr 6, 2013 9:28 PM

Hi,

Sorry for the bad question, but How do I lower the volume in the source monitor? I want to be able to preview my footage without audio while still being able to listen to i tunes.

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2013 9:33 PM   in reply to Nature Mike

How many audio systems can play 2 audio streams sources  at the same time?

Get another computer or  Ipod,  Ipad....

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2013 10:19 PM   in reply to Nature Mike

You can't, really.  The only way to adjust the volume for clips in the Source Monitor is with the speaker volume, which would also affect any other audio sources.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 5:59 AM   in reply to Nature Mike

I also like to listen to music when I'm scrubbing through footage, looking for b-roll.  The way I kill the sound in Premiere so I don't have to listen to the chipmunk version of my footage when scrubbing is to go to Edit>Preferences>Audio Hardware and select "ASIO Settings".  This gives me a few different output options.  At least one option is required, so I just check an output that I'm not using and leave my main output unchecked.  This effectively mutes Premiere.

Not the most elegant solution, but it works.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 9:46 AM   in reply to shooternz

Shooternz, OSX allows for multiple sources to share system audio resources.  It's been that way for a while.  Thank goodness.

I can't remember the name of the utility offhand... AudioHiJack or similar, that allows users to set audio levels separately for every application that is using OS audio.

I often set up my stock music libraries on a web browser to play a playlist of music choices while I'm cutting.  I can set the volume in the browser.  But, as has been pointed out, you can't set volume in the Source viewer as of CS6, so I just try to set the volume of the browser accordingly.

Another option is to use a separate interface for Pr (They're cheap now.), and route Pr alone to it, and set volume on the interface, or at the fader of a audio mixer.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 7, 2013 9:53 AM   in reply to Nature Mike

I want to be able to preview my footage without audio while still being able to listen to i tunes.

IMHO, this is what a laptop or mp3 player are for...

not your editing system.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 3:28 PM   in reply to Nature Mike

I don't understand? Do you want to sample your audio or just listen to tunes? Anyway:  source monitor > audio mixer > Master volume > lower

Now listen to your itunes. You can also just mute the audio in the timeline.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 3:36 PM   in reply to Kranex1

The Mixer only affects clips in the sequence, not the Source monitor.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points