Skip navigation
ColdOne 234
Currently Being Moderated

Live Paint Bucket Troubles

Apr 7, 2013 1:41 AM

Hello,

I have been using Illustrator 6 for about a week now and am being driven mad by the new paint bucket. Is there any way that I might revert to the old version of paint bucket? It was alot easier to use. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Chris

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 7, 2013 8:49 AM   in reply to ColdOne 234

Are you referring to the different hot spot of the cursor?

That cannot be changed.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 8:02 PM   in reply to ColdOne 234

I don't see a functional difference between the "Live Paint Bucket" tool in CS5 and 6. Are you sure you're not not confusing the "Live Paint Selection" tool with the "Live Paint Bucket" tool?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 12:41 AM   in reply to rcraighead

Sounds like ColdOne is confusing Photoshop with Illustrator. The Live Paint tools, as far as I'm aware, have operated pretty much the same way they always have since they were introduced to Illustrator.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 2:33 AM   in reply to [scott w]

As for expanding live objects before using live paint, I agree. But concerning the sometimes small open paths that cannot be closed by the gap detection, I have experienced them as well. Only I don't remember if that also happened in earlier versions.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 11:01 AM   in reply to ColdOne 234

"Live Paint" Paint Bucket tool should not be confused with a "Paint Bucket" fill tool. Live Paint is a whole different way to approach multi-fill objects. I can understand your frustration if you are trying to use it to simply fill closed objects. I don't know if there is an add-on tool such as you describe. I would suggest you select the object using direct select or selection tool then click the desired color in the swatch panel. You can also drag-n-drop a color from the swatch panel, onto any object, whether it is selected or not.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 11:15 AM   in reply to rcraighead

Has Option clicking with the Eyedropper tool been discarded in AI CS6 ?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 11:25 AM   in reply to Kurt Gold

No, the Eydropper tool is what Chris wants.

Click  with the Eyedropper ("i") on a colour, move the Eyedropper over another shape and Alt click to apply the colour.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 11:32 AM   in reply to Ton Frederiks

Not if the color has not yet been used in the illustration, then selecting the object and clicking the swatch or draging the swatch to the object, is a good option.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 11:51 AM   in reply to rcraighead

Well, Ray, I do not agree with that statement.

You can always select any unused swatch and then apply it to any (unselected) object by using the Option Eyedropper method.

Your suggestion is also an option, of course.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 12:13 PM   in reply to Kurt Gold

And to make it complete:

If the colour does not exist in the Swatches panel, you can always pick a colour with the Eyedropper from the Color panel and apply it witht the Alt-Eyedropper method :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 12:38 PM   in reply to Kurt Gold

Just looking for the fasted, simplist option. Many ways to do the same thing.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 1:04 PM   in reply to rcraighead

That is a matter of course, Ray.

Frankly, don't you think Option Eyedropper actually is the fastest and most efficient way, specifically if you're going to fill a lot of objects on the fly ? At least compared to the method you're probably preferring?

In older versions of Illustrator there was a separate Paint Bucket tool. Perhaps it was a bit more obvious to use it there. Basically, it did the same as Option Eyedropper does nowadays.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 3:00 PM   in reply to Kurt Gold

The Eyedropper tool method assumes the color is already in the document. In that case, sure, it is a great method. If not, dragging from the swatch panel is faster because it requires fewer clicks.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 10:29 AM   in reply to rcraighead

I cannot follow your argument. Probably you are thinking about a completely different workflow and entirely different structures.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points