Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can I record coordinates?

Apr 7, 2013 5:51 AM

Tags: #cs6 #record #coordinates #measurements

In Photoshop CS6 Extended (Win7 64-bit) how can I use the Ruler Tool to not only record the angle and length of a given measurement, but also the beginning and ending coordinates?

And on a related note, is it possible to edit the fields beneath the Label column in the Record Measurement log; e.g., rename Ruler 1 to AB, Ruler 2 to CD, etc.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 13, 2013 12:39 PM   in reply to kellybellis

The intervening silence may have more to do with the facts that it is Saturday and that the pool of measurement users is relatively small ( an assumption ). However, what you are asking for would be a nice addition to the capabilities of the measurement features. Currently there is no way (that I know of) for Photoshop to do what you want and none of Photoshop's documentation suggests that there is.

Paulo

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 13, 2013 12:59 PM   in reply to kellybellis

Yes, I should have looked at the date of the original post.

Paulo

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,979 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 13, 2013 4:49 PM   in reply to Paulo Skylar

As far as I know the ruler tool does  not normally record  its use in actions. When I'm recording an action record a step like make a rectangular selection with the marquee tool I see it get recorded into the action as a step. When I then the ruler tool to measure it side and diagonal I see nothing recorded adding to the selection then using the marquee tool and shift is recorded in the action. When I use the ruler tool I see in the tool option bar the starting x and y coordinates  the x width and y height differences to the end coordinate the angle to the end point and the length between the start and end points. All values in the current ruler units.  If I use the ruler and then click the Straighten Layer button in the option bar I do see a step recorded for the ruler. The step recorded is the use of the Straighten plug-in. The Plug-in is a Photoshop script written in JavaScript and resides in the required Photoshop plug-in folder "Straighten.jsx".  Its a complex script that also uses "Geometry.jsx" and "Terminology.jsx" it seems to get the x and y info perhaps you could add code into Straighten.jsx to record what you want.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points