Skip navigation
AXY1234
Currently Being Moderated

Batch processing photographs in Photoshop Elements 11

Apr 7, 2013 3:01 AM

Tags: #batch #automate #scanned_files #windows_8 #dust #scratches #autohotkey #batch_process #photoshop_elements_11

Hi everyone,

I've been scanning in a lot of old photographs of late.  Many (probably all) of them would benefit from application of the "dust & scratches" filter, but it doesn't appear as an option in the "process multiple files" pull-down.  I've heard about "autohotkey" being used as an alternative mechanism for doing batch processing, but can't find an example online that works with Photoshop Elements 11.  Would anyone care to share any tips on how I could automatically process my scanned photographs in ways that "process multiple files" doesn't offer?

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can offer.

Best regards,

Andrew.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 7, 2013 11:29 AM   in reply to AXY1234

What operating system are you using?

Yes, it can be done in variety of ways.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 7:13 PM   in reply to AXY1234

One way which i've been doing this is to use the Image Processor script from photoshop in pse 11.

(only works in pse 11 or possibly future versions of photoshop elements)

You can download the PSE 11 Image Processor.zip, extract the file (right click on the zip and press Extract All)

https://workspaces.acrobat.com/?d=ZOP9CgDC38plXHju4uVLkQ

and then copy the Image Processor.jsx to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 11\Presets\Scripts (64 bit version of windows 8)

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 11\Presets\Scripts (32 bit version of windows 8)

Start or restart pse11 and in the Expert mode it should be listed under File>Automation Tools>Image Processor

(an image doesn't have to be open to run the script)

Then we just need to know if you want the Dust and Scratches to use the same settings all the time or you want to be able to adjust the filter between photos.

(so we could send you the action to use with the image processor)

The image processor is similar to process mutiple fles except you can choose to run action that you have loaded in Window>Actions on the processed photos.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2a.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 2:41 AM   in reply to AXY1234

You need to have an action for Dust and Scratches, that i could make for you.

I just need to know if you want to run the same settings in the dust and scratches filter on all the processed photos or change the settings between photos.

Meanwhile you can experiment with this action which opens the dust and scratches dialog for each photo with your last used settings.

If you don't want to change the settings you can just press the enter key to apply the filter or adjust the settings and press OK.

https://workspaces.acrobat.com/?d=XZAxeFkqrNosNA7bkTDGVA

Download and unzip the Dust and Scratches.zip, then in the pse 11 actions panel, go the flyout menu and click Load Actions and navigate to the place where you extracted the Dust and Scratches.atn

Untitled-1a.png

One thing i did forget to mention before is not to check the Convert Profile to sRGB box under Save as Jpeg or the script will probably mess up.

Untitled-1.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 12:11 PM   in reply to AXY1234

Therein lies the major roadblock in using actions in photoshop elements; one can play actions recorded in the full version photoshop such as photoshop cs6, but can't

record one's own actions in pse for all practical purposes. (it's not impossible, but it's kinda of a covoluted process)

If you know what settings you want to use, i can record an action that uses those settings and doesn't open up the dialog each time.

If you interested in actually recording your own actions you could download the trial version of photoshop cs6 and that would give you thirty days

and there are tons of tutorials on the web about recording actions in photoshop.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points