Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flex forum: Had ZERO help on here. Am I doing something wrong?

Apr 7, 2013 11:21 AM

Please don't take this badly and please DON'T insult me on this thread.

I have had NO HELP whatsoever. 100's of people have read my dilema yet no comments. It's like I don't exist or my questions are complete f****** crap - It makes me feel so bad (OPK - I'm insecure - I'm not a pro - so sometimes my questions are STUPID - I'm a teacher and I WOULD NEVER make somebody feel like a C*** just for asking a silly question - that's what helping is about especially teaching.

I have been on the flash forum for 10 years and everybody was so helpful. I always had answers to everything I asked as I don't code full time and I don't work in the industry. My business however requires me to create and maintain a LMS (learnng management system - elearning) for over a 1000 kids. I have been using flash successfully for years with xml + php + mysql db.

Now things have grown and I need better server solutions - hence Flashbuilder/flashdevelop. I looked at some examples of flex with a remote object + amfphp etc... but everybody looks at the post and ignores me. Searching on the web other people have asked the same question to no avail. There is so little info on this that I feel this is a bonified question.

What am I doing wrong???

Sorry for a negative post but I need to learn how to use this forum - it's so important.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 7, 2013 11:42 AM   in reply to codeBeastAdobe

First of all, for a teacher I'd expect rather more patience and the understanding that insulting the people that might help you isn't a great way of winning them over.

I did indeed respond to one of your questions.

Your questions are quite specific and the vast majority of flex developers won't have used your technology stack. As a newbie you have to make a start and starting with an LMS for hundreds or even thousands of users isn't ideal.

I have built several Flex front-ends for multiple users (and even a flash one that  had hundreds of thousands of registered users) and none of them used your development stack.

I have either used bespoke PHP or in another case django was used. In all cases the interface has been via an XML exchange.

A lot of us are really busy and don't have time to steer a newbie from little flex knowledge to implementing a complex Flex project.

A few minutes with google seems to find results.

http://corlan.org/2008/10/10/flex-and-php-remoting-with-amfphp/

http://flexperiential.com/2010/05/15/connecting-to-a-database-using-am fphp-flex-4-remoteobject/

..etc

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 1:29 PM   in reply to codeBeastAdobe

You mention that my STACK is not commonly used or known.

I didn't say that. Plenty of people use that stack, but there are tons of server-side solutions, so you have a smaller pool of participants.

"interface has been via an XML exchange." - not too sure what that means

The front-end communicates with the server using XML. That's all.

I have read the other links already but there are problems there

There are problems with everything.

I will look up django now.

It wasn't a recommendation. I didn't code the Django server code. I and the other developer worked on an API. I don't know Django and he didn't know flash. We just had to communicate.

There are loads of differrent technology stacks that can handle hundreds or thousands of users. Flex mostly doesn't care if you use XML as an intemediary. AMF is specific to Flash/Flex. I created my front-end using a test version of the backend using PHP and MySQL. I wrote the test backend.

The data wasn't serialised. The key to speed is how well your server can serve data to multiple online users. You may have 1,000,000 users, but what is important is how many are online concurrently at any time.

I think this project is too ambitious for you to start with.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 3:17 PM   in reply to codeBeastAdobe

I can't really help you, but my advice is this.

Stop focusing on technology details. You are attempting to decide on a technology but don't really know enough about it.

Make a specification of what the LMS should do FUNCTIONALLY. Try and get a UI sketched and work out how the system should interact functionally without worrying about technology.

I would help you but I am just too busy. There are people on the flash forums that have built systems like this.

You might even decide on a Flash or, cough, HTML implementation.

You should enagage people that have done this before. Do it in stages. Have a precise idea of what you want.

Why not use an existing system?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points