Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Site Definitions CS4 v. CS6

Apr 7, 2013 5:42 PM

Tags: #site #cs6 #definition

I just switched to DW CS6 from CS4. When I defined a Site in CS4, it created an actual folder with my site name that I could see on my hard drive, and my various website files would be in there. CS6 isn't doing that-- although it shows a folder icon that is visible inside of Dreamweaver. I look for it outside of Dreamweaver, and it's not there. This spooks me a little bit. Is this how it works now, or am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

Replies
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 7, 2013 8:38 PM   in reply to parker lambert

Can you verify that you're trying to create a folder within 'Local Site Definition' and not 'Remote Server'? And double, triple-check the path you're providing within DW and verify you're seeing the exact path on your computer's Finder/ Explorer as well.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 8, 2013 4:40 AM   in reply to parker lambert

CS4 and CS6 work exactly the same with regard to defining a local site.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 6:23 AM   in reply to MurraySummers

Go to Site > Manage Sites > Click the site you are working on > Edit > Click the Advanced tab > Click Local Info

The path to the folder on your HD will be in the Local Root Folder box

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 3:05 PM   in reply to parker lambert

Did you Export Site Definition Settings (.ste) files from CS4 and then Import them into CS6?

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 5:36 AM   in reply to parker lambert

The .ste file is wherever you decided to save it. When you export sites from Dreamweaver, the Export Site dialog box lets you choose where to save the site definitions.

Just FYI, .ste files don't exist unless you export the site definitions yourself. Dreamweaver stores site definitions in the Windows Registry or in a Site Prefs file within the Library/Application Support folder on Mac OS X.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points