Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop or InDesign CS6 - which one is correct?

Apr 7, 2013 6:08 PM

I got stuck on a problem where I couldn't get Acrobat's print to match what I print out of Photoshop (Epson 7880) using Source>Print Profile "Photoshop Manages Colors" workflow.

I traced the problem to InDesign.

The screenshot below shows the Photoshop sRGB document (left) with the blue background, 22/56/158.

The right side shows InDesign blue background (sRGB is Working RGB) with the identical 22/56/158 RGB fill.

Open the screenshot in Photoshop (use the embedded profile, sRGB), and sample the blue background in each app.

There is a considerable difference between them that could account for the difference I am complaining about the prints not matching.

Proof.jpg

So I have to wonder which app is correct, Photoshop or InDesign...if I am missing something?

settings.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 7, 2013 6:20 PM   in reply to gator soup

Your RGB numbers are the same in both the PS and ID screen shots.

capture-000212.png

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 6:35 PM   in reply to gator soup

When there's a discrepancy, and provided your monitors are meticulously calibrated and your color management is correct, I'd be inclined to go by what Photoshop shows.

The truth is that other applications in the "suite" are not up to Photoshop's level of color management accuracy and uniformity.

Inconsistency between or among applications in the artificial "suites" should come as no surprise.

The "suite" concept is a fabrication of Adobe marketing and bean-counting types.  The engineering teams are totally independent of each other, they are not only in different buildings but in different cities and states of the American Union, even in different countries.

The fact that they have little if any communication among them is highlighted by requests occasionally made in these forums by top Adobe engineers to let the other teams know when there are problems in one application that impact our workflow in another one.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 6:48 PM   in reply to MW Design

Mike,

That seems to be what the OP says. 

However, if you check the info on the blue of each of the blue preview patches in the screen shot of each application, they are far from being the same.

Inasmuch as I trust gator soup color management and monitor calibration, I stand by my previous comment in this thread:

Inconsistency between or among applications in the artificial "suites" should come as no surprise.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 6:48 PM   in reply to gator soup

Hope Mike/Crayola chimes in.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 6:51 PM   in reply to gator soup

My question in your screenshot is the CMYK policy.

Photoshop: Preserve embedded profiles

Indesign:    Preserve numbers Ignore linked profiles (since I do not know Indesign-I'm not sure if you have an embedded profile option)

Also I am told sRGB is a poor choice for CMYK output,and if you are intending for your work to be printed, Adobe RGB would be a better working space than sRGB. That would be found in the North American Prepress settings.

Get some input from the InDesign forums too.

All I know is sRGB is for web and Adobe RGB is better for print.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 7:02 PM   in reply to gener7

gener7,

The OP is printing to an Epson 7880, so CMYK would be totally irrelevant here.

Personally, I'd be absolutely working in Prophoto RGB under those circumstances myself (as I always do in my setup), but it's possible that gator soup does not have access to an original ProPhoto RGB file of this image and was merely handed a lowly sRGB file by the client.    The colors have been forced into the narrower sRGB color space already, so converting to a wider color space—like ProPhoto RGB or the modest Adobe RGB—wouldn't help now.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 7:05 PM   in reply to gener7

Incidentaly, gener7, gator soup is an old hand at color management.  Check out his site:

http://www.gballard.net/psd/cmstheory.html

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 7:12 PM   in reply to station_two

Oops. Thanks, Station_two.

fwiw, if I were printing from ID and attempting to match a PS RGB print, I would set the transparency blend space in ID to RGB. In the print dialog, Output section, I would make sure that in the Color drop down, Composite Leave Unchanged was selected.

Printing to my Phaser, the prints from PS and ID using the OP's color values are identical using RGB in both apps.

But...if this was a print job, the placed PSDs would be CMYK, the working ID space would be CMYK (and transparency blend space). I would be using a swatch book for picking color values (unless a client gave me values). The resultant PDFs for either digital or offset would match those values.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 7:14 PM   in reply to station_two

Yeah, now remember his name coming up in CM discussions. I don't know why his site isn't in his profile. It's pretty thorough.

Well then this one is way above my pay grade if he doesn't know.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 7:21 PM   in reply to MW Design

MikeWenzloff wrote:

…Printing to my Phaser, the prints from PS and ID using the OP's color values are identical using RGB in both apps. …

Thanks for that info, Mike.  Very useful to know.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 7:39 PM   in reply to gator soup

Here's a screenshot (converted from my monitor profile to sRGB) of Id and Ps. Both docs are sRGB and displaying RGB (22, 56, 158). No problem with Id here.

Screen-shot-2013-04-08-at-03.28.56.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2013 9:19 PM   in reply to gator soup

gator soup wrote:

conroy,

do you have a custom monitor profile, or sRGB equivalent?

Custom. The original screenshot had my monitor profile. I converted it to sRGB then posted it.

your Id screenshot cuts off the area i can confirm you are using RGB (not CMYK)

Trust me, I was using RGB.

or your Ps Source Profile - so it is hard for me to understand what you did

sRGB as is displayed in Info panel.

how do i get my MacPro to use that style color picker in Ps?

Enable the radio button at R.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points