Skip navigation
PixelsJen
Currently Being Moderated

Help with recoloring clothing (hair problem)

Apr 7, 2013 10:08 PM

Please help!  I'm driving myself crazy on this project.  The goal  is take a single image example help.jpg

like the one attached (its a full image that inludes the entire dress and models face, cropped here so I could show the area I'm having trouble with.) and create a series of images that show the dress in different colors. In most of the images, the models hair is up, but in a few it's down around her shoulders.  When I try and change the dress to a darker or lighter color , the transition area between the hair and dress becomes a complete mess.  For example in the attached images, when I mask the dress I can change the dress color easily enough to one that is darker / related hue, or to a color that is somewhat similar in tonal value but the lighter I go (or darker when I'm starting with a light dress) the transition between the hair and dress looks terrible.  To far in and the light hair begins to glow, to far out and there is an obvious fringe from the original dress color. Would brushing the stray hairs and

the out focus ends with a softer brush help? I've tied different masking techniques but the end result is always the same.  Is it possible to get a clean mask on the hair in the attached so that it looks as decent on a white dress as it does on a black dress?  Should I just retouch then image and remove all the flyaway hair before I start to recolor?  Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 8, 2013 3:52 AM   in reply to PixelsJen

When (due to focus, movement, …) pixels partially belong to both elements one needs to isolate a mere Mask may not be enough and it may be indicated to decontamiate both elements (foreground and background) to achieve good editability.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 8, 2013 3:58 AM   in reply to PixelsJen

Sometimes it helps to work at a very high resolution, even possibly upsampled from your original imagery.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 8, 2013 5:10 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I don't have your high resolution file, but some examples...

Green.jpg

Gray.jpg

Light Teal.jpg

The last one isn't as nice as it could be if starting from a high res shot.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 8, 2013 5:08 PM   in reply to PixelsJen

I just used Refine Edge, and painted the transition brush over the parts where the dress color shows through.  I created a new layer with layer mask from that.  Then I decontaminated the colors manually with a Brush Tool set to Color mixing in both the top and bottom layers.

Yes, it's a challenging dataset to work with, especially if you're going to lighten the dress a good bit.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points