Skip navigation
Teags24
Currently Being Moderated

Lighting effects previews ok, but disappears

Apr 7, 2013 10:55 PM

Tags: #lighting_effect #cs6;lighting

Hi there,

Huge apologies if this has been covered elsewhere or is a simple solution. I just need the answer asap. I am working in Photoshop CS6.

I am putting a light effect over a layer and the lighting effect using the alpha channel.

Everything is fine in the preview stage, however when I go back to the main part of my document the effect appears for a little while then disappears. I save it before it disappears as a JPEG and as a psd to input into indesign but when saved the lighting effect does not show up on either file. 

I don't think its crashing or anything. I appologise I'm not 100% sure what the specs of my Mac is, I only just got it. Its the i7 retina display released mid last year with 8GB RAM SSD. I hope the screen shots can help

This is what it looks like without the effect and what it looks like after the effect disppears.

Screen-Shot-2013-04-08-at-3.27.39-PM.jpg

This is what it looks like in preview, and what it should look like when saved.

Screen-Shot-2013-04-08-at-3.28.32-PM.jpg

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,478 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 8, 2013 3:41 AM   in reply to Teags24

Did you press the blue [ OK ] button up in the Options area to commit the effect back to the document?

Adobe thinks this new method of previewing effects right in the document preview area is better, and it has some merit over a plug-in with a separate preview window, but I've seen it confuse people who don't realize the effect really isn't made part of the image layer until after the effect is actually completed.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 8, 2013 4:16 AM   in reply to Teags24

I can reproduce the problem when an alpha channel is targeted in addition to a layer at the moment of opening the Lighting Effects filter. After the filter is commited and normal document mode resumes, a change (the desired effect) has been made to a cached display image only, not the pixels of the actual layer. Then when that cached image is updated some time later, the lighting effect vanishes.

To get a change to the actual layer, ensure no alpha channel is targeted before opening the filter.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 4:47 AM   in reply to Teags24

That's strange that my solution doesn't work for you. I have checked several times now and the problem and solution on my machine are consistently as I described. I'm using Ps CS6 13.0.1 on OS X 10.6.8.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 5:12 AM   in reply to conroy

First screenshot shows the result when "Alpha 1" is targeted before activating the filter. "Alpha 1" is no longer targeted and Channels panel reveals that the filter has not affected the target layer. Only the display image has the result of the filter. When the display is later updated with the real content of the document, the filter effect will vanish.

Screen-shot-2013-04-08-at-12.55.44.png

Second screenshot shows the result if "Alpha 1" is not targeted before activating the filter. Channels panel reveals that the target layer really has been affected by the filter.

Screen-shot-2013-04-08-at-12.55.56.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 6:39 AM   in reply to Teags24

Channels panel highlights the targeted channels. Also, the display image would be the grayscale content of the alpha if the alpha was targeted. Your new screenshot shows "Alpha 1" is not targeted and the LE filter should work correctly. I see nothing in your Layers panel that would cause a problem.

Does LE filter work correctly in a new simple test document containing just one layer and no alpha channel?

What happens when the test doc contains just one layer and an alpha channel?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points