Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

trying to make a name badge from a business card

Apr 8, 2013 5:38 AM

I also posted in Photoshop.  Just looking for the best and easiest answer.

I scanned this business card as a picture (HP all in one).   I want to remove the information below Taylor Shelley ( I was going to use the clone tool and match the background - good idea or bad?).   Here are the steps that I tried.

1. Crop the name Taylor Shelley and saved that file for placement later.

2.  Clone the background to remove the info below the name.

3. Insert the croped name and center below the business name and cell phone to the right.

4.  I need to add the word Owner below the name Taylor

I don't like the pixel look when I'm finished.  Should I be using illustrator.

Is there a better way to do this.

Thanks

Mikescan0003.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 8, 2013 7:59 AM   in reply to squatch97401

Open this in Photoshop and clone out all the name details (the patch tool may do this well and easy). Open then in Illustrator, and add all the type back. this way our type will lok all crisp and vector when printing, and if you get any more chnages will be easy to do.

If you really want this to look sharp just recreate all, as there is nothing there you cannot create in a  few minutes, except if you don't have the font for the logo (looks like Chalet Paris 1980).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 8:01 AM   in reply to squatch97401

Any scan will be considered 3rd generation.  Try to get your hands on the original file.  That's the best way or best practice.  At a minimum, get a PDF of the original file.  Looks like your standard Helvetica font, so easy to replicate in Illustrator.  Only question is where the background came from?  What is your plan for bleed?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 11:08 AM   in reply to squatch97401

Why Black?  The card is not Black.  I would create a 4c background in Photoshop and try to match the color as close as possible there.  Do not mess with transparency...yet.  Get to know the fundamentals first, then migrate to that later.  Instead, think of Black as percentage(s) with 100% being solid, 50% being mid range, and 10% as highlight or light Black.  Use the CMYK color palette to adjust the percentages.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 11:33 AM   in reply to squatch97401

I took your file and created a background.  Your scan picked up the "LAID" finish of the card stock used for the card.  This adds a layer of texture you may or may not want.  I did the artwork in Photoshop because the color and texture would be hard to recreate in Illustrator.  Other elements like the logo, the phone artwork, and text should be done in Illustrator, not Photoshop...

bkgrndSM.png

No way there is any Black in this file.  I also added some noise in Ps.  Unfortunately I could only generate a 144ppi resolution.  See if you can use it anyway...for your project.  What is it?  A class assignment for school?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 6:38 PM   in reply to squatch97401

4c = process color ( CMYK ).  Your scan screen shot above reads 75%C-63%M-65%Y-41%K in the edge and 67%C-53%M-54%Y-22%K in the center.  On my browser ( and Photoshop ) it looks greenish. I have not printed it, but I am pretty sure it will print like a swamp Green.  Take a look at your scan at around 200% and you will see texture ( unless I am seeing jpeg compression artifacts ).  If you like the texture, then it can stay.  I would have to see the original card and whether the gradient is smooth or not.  Let me know how it turns out.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 7:21 PM   in reply to squatch97401

The "C" and "S" in the logo could be hand manipulated, with the rest of the letters looking like a form of "Futura".  I use MyFonts.com, but others have used whatthefont.com to find unknown typefaces.  I still think the rest of the text could be Helvetica Neu or derivatives of Helvetica.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 2:21 AM   in reply to squatch97401

In order to manipulate paths (which is what text will be after converting it), you need to have some pretty gopd practice of the pen tool. Should be at the very beginning of the "Classroom". So you might just wat to start working your way through it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points