Skip navigation
canon3000
Currently Being Moderated

CS5 Extended Urgent help needed

Apr 8, 2013 8:10 AM

Hi

Just purchased CS5 extended what I thought was the full version, on the side of the box is a sticky lable saying UPGRADE from Adobe photoshop Elements, to install this upgrade of CS5 Extended you must have an eligible version of Adobe Photoshop Elemets.

So which version do I have? re seller Pc World are not sure either now I have shown them the box, I cannot open the box as this will invalidate the returns. If it is an upgrade which elements do I need to run the software?? Reason for using Cs5 and not Cs6 is I will be getting some actions that only work in Cs5

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 8, 2013 8:26 AM   in reply to canon3000

This does not make sense to me.  You can not upgrade from Photoshop Elements to Photoshop.  Also, CS5 is not the current version (CS6 came out a year ago)  and although a retailer may have one in stock I would be suspicious.

To qualify for an upgrade to CS5 Extended you would need to have CS2 Extended or later to qualify.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 8:30 AM   in reply to Curt Y

See this Forum Thread link for issues to check if buying older Adobe software:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3687600#3687600

This does not make sense to me.  You can not upgrade from Photoshop Elements to Photoshop.

hmm... that too.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 8:52 AM   in reply to canon3000

Ebay is infamous for selling counterfiet copies of photoshop.  Some copies look exactly like the real thing, the the serial number will not work.  Not to say the copy you bought is, but there certainly are quite a few red flags. 

Bottom line the upgrade path printed on side of box does not exist.  But I am just a user, not an Adobe rep.  You can verify the upgrade path by doing a web search.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 4:13 PM   in reply to Curt Y

you can download the software for free. you just need the codes.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 8, 2013 4:40 PM   in reply to canon3000

My advice:  Return it for a refund ASAP and buy a legitimate copy directly from Adobe. 

Otherwise there's a very good chance that one day your serial number will be blacklisted.  Then you'll be SOL.

On the Perpetual license track only Photoshop CS5 can be upgraded to Photoshop CS6 now.  If you find buying a full legitimate copy expensive, since you'll have to buy a full version, consider a cloud subscription ($19.99 a month for just Photoshop). 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 9, 2013 3:17 AM   in reply to canon3000

Most actions that work in earlier versions also work in Photoshop CS6.

Are these commercial actions?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 3:31 AM   in reply to Mike Ornellas

Is that really called for on Adobe's own forum?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 9, 2013 5:54 AM   in reply to canon3000

It's a .atn file that won't open?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 8:07 AM   in reply to canon3000

A .psp file is an unsaved action.  A .atn file is a saved action.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 9, 2013 10:08 AM   in reply to canon3000

Who has provided you with a Photoshop Preferences file?  Is it ActionsPalette.psp?  If so, that's not really a valid way to share actions.

ActionsPalette.psp could be an entire set of actions that someone had loaded into a particular version of Photoshop, and copied from their Photoshop preferences area.  That's certainly not the proper way to do it.

There is a possibility you could replace your own copy of ActionsPalette.psp (which would cause you the complete loss of your actions), but I don't honestly know if the preferences files from one version of Photsohop can be used in another.

But better yet - is there any way you could ask the original provider to actually save the actoins set(s) pertinent to what you're doing properly, as .atn files, so that you can load them into Photoshop?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 7:20 AM   in reply to canon3000

As has been stated .psp is an unsaved action.

Photoshop Actions

Mac -  Actions (not saved) Actions panel.psp  Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CSx Settings

Mac -  Actions (saved) Actions panel.atn   Program Files/Adobe Photoshop CSx(64bit)/presets/actions

PC -  Actions (not saved) Actions panel.psp  Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS5/Adobe Photoshop CS5 Settings

PC -   Actions (saved) Actions panel.atn   Program Files/Adobe Photoshop CSx(64bit)/presets/actions

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points