Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flex SDK and AIR runtime version in mobile

Apr 8, 2013 8:34 AM

Tags: #flash #version #flex-mobile #4.5 #4.6

Hi, guys.

I'm trying to make my first Flex mobile app.

I'm a little confused about the relationship between Flex SDK and AIR  runtime versions for mobile development.

In the "Developing Mobile Applications with ADOBE FLEX 4.6 and ADOBE FLASH BUILDER 4.6" pdf document, it says:

"AIR requirements

Flex mobile projects and ActionScript mobile projects require AIR 2.6 or a higher version. You can run mobile projects on physical devices that support AIR 2.6 or a higher version of AIR.

You can install AIR 2.6 or a higher version only on supported Android devices that run Android 2.2 or a higher version. For the complete list of supported Android devices, see Certified Devices. Also, review the minimum system requirements to run Adobe AIR on Android devices at Mobile System Requirements.

Note: If you do not have a device that supports AIR 2.6 or a higher version of AIR, you can use Flash Builder to launch and debug mobile applications on the desktop."

So, I go and check the Certified devices in http://www.adobe.com/devnet-apps/flashruntimes/certified-devices.html and find that the minimun FLASH PLAYER version accepted by ALL devices is FP 10.1

1. Does this mean that if I want to release an app to target ALL mobile devices, then I can only use Flex 4.5?

2. Do support for Flash Player mean the same than support for Adobe AIR? Or the application will prompt the user to install whatever version of the AIR runtime and all of them would be supported by the device, even in the FLASH PLAYER support is for a lesser version?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 8, 2013 8:56 AM   in reply to JoseAjáAjá

Flash Player plugs into a browser and runs when viewing SWF content in a web page.

AIR is for desktop and mobile applications that you download and install.  Right now, the recommendation when creating mobile applications for AIR is to use the “captive runtime” feature.  This does make your download much larger as you are embedding the AIR runtime into your application, but then you don’t have to worry about what version of AIR is on the device and the user doesn’t have to install or upgrade AIR.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 9:25 AM   in reply to JoseAjáAjá

Maybe that table got modified recently.  I’m not sure why it shows Flash Runtime versions.

This document http://www.adobe.com/products/air/tech-specs.html seems to have general guidelines on what the device needs to have to run AIR.

Yes, the download gets big using captive runtime, but in theory it does save hassle around what AIR versions are on the device.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 10:26 PM   in reply to JoseAjáAjá

I’m not sure there is a “bad” size.  It is up to your customers.  If they are random people on slow networks, then anything over 1MB might be too much.  But if these are corporate employees with a fast intranet and they “must” use it, then 10MB probably is insignificant.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points