Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to alias shape strokes and fills?

Apr 8, 2013 10:35 AM

First of all, I hope I'm not flooding the boards with questions. In Photoshop, I realized that the shape tool is divided into three prefered styles - Shape, Path, and Pixels. In Shape, I have the option to to change the stroke and fill but not alias it. In Pixels, I have the option to alias it but not change both the fill and stroke. If I create a shape as one style, I cannot convert it to another. Is there a way to change both the fill and stroke of an aliased shape?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 8, 2013 1:22 PM   in reply to bleduc1

Shapes are path-masked layers filled with color, for lack of a better way to describe it simply. Paths are vectors. Because a path is a vector, antialiasing doesn't apply, technically speaking, (not that you couldn't get antialiasing into it later).

So if you want antialiasing, work in pixels. On an empty layer, use the selection tools to make a selection of the desired shape, then fill it with the desired fill color, (Edit > Fill). After that, changing fill and stroke colors is a matter of applying layer style settings, (double-click the layer in the Layers panel).

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2013 7:58 AM   in reply to bleduc1

The vector Shape layers are always rendered with anti-aliasing in Photoshop. However, it is possible to put an aliased stroke on a Shape layer by using aliased Layer Style Inner Glow and Outer Glow as shown below. If you want an aliased Shape layer without stroke then give it a thin aliased Layer Style Outer Glow with the same colour as the shape's fill.

Screen-shot-2013-04-10-at-15.37.17.png

Screen-shot-2013-04-10-at-15.37.46.png

Screen-shot-2013-04-10-at-15.37.54.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points