Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

resolution etc

Apr 8, 2013 10:44 AM

Hi

This might not be accepted as a Photoshop topic as such, but there is obviously stuff I need to learn apart from the actual editing. For example, I have LR4 and just downloaded CS6 - I began by looking at the LR4 preferences, and specifically those for external editing in Photoshop & other programs. I have Martin Evening's Photoshop book, which for example shows a resolution of 300.

It thought I should maybe just copy Martin and also use 300, but didn't know why. I then realised that to get on with Photoshop, I would need to learn a lot more about the ins & outs of digital files, and file sizes, dpi, ppi etc etc, and how, when & why to resize for output etc.

Can anyoned recommend a book that covers everything one might need to manage / resize etc images right through to the stage where they are output for the web or print preferably something I can understand!

Thank you, Roy Kaye

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 8, 2013 11:04 AM   in reply to Roy Kaye

Resolution is an overrated number, it means little.  You want to concentrate on image size in pixels, this is the true measure of potential image quality.  If you do not resample if you change resolution the image size will change.  Play a little with Image/image size with the box on bottom "resample image" checked and unchecked.  See how they are all related.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 12:47 PM   in reply to Curt Y

I disagree.  Adobe's Print Publishing Guide may be helpful in learning more about files and print requirements.  You could also ask some questions here and sort of chip away at some of the questions you may have.  Obviously your concerns are image capture and how to maximize your files for an appropriate application.  There is a misconception that typical resolution is 300ppi like in Martin Evening's Photoshop book.  Where does the 300 number come into play? It represents most offset printing applications that use a 150 lpi ( lines per inch ) halftone screen ( eventhough not all offset printing is done using a 150 ppi halftone screen ).  Image resolution, in this specific case, is determined by multiplying the halftone screen frequency x 2 = 300.  You will learn more about this in the Adobe Print Publishing Guide.  I'm not familiar with any books that specifically deal with image file requirements for specific applications.  You may want to do a keyword search and see what comes back.  However, that would also be a good way to become overwhelmed fairly quickly.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 2:09 PM   in reply to John Danek

To further confuse the issue read this page on "say no to 72ppi".  He uses dpi rather than ppi but concept the same. http://www.scantips.com/no72dpi.html

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points