Skip navigation
Kandfoto
Currently Being Moderated

Why is PS CS6, Save to Web changing my photos back to 300 dpi?

Apr 8, 2013 5:37 PM

I run an action to prepare my photos for FB, 500px, Photo.net, etc., which reduces image size 960 x ?, 8-bit, sRGB, and 72 dpi. I then sharpen and add copyright info. However, when I use "Save to Web" it reduces the size of the photo and strips metadata for faster loading but reverts back to a 300 dpi resolution.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 8, 2013 6:06 PM   in reply to Kandfoto

From what I understand on the web there is no resolution, it is striped out and it is all reduced to pixel size. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2013 6:25 PM   in reply to Kandfoto

You must be using one of the settings in save for web under Metadata besides None.

Which setting are you using?

What operating system are you using?

Untitled-18.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 8:08 AM   in reply to Kandfoto

I'm using "All Except Camera Info." Is this where the problem lies? I do not want to strip my copyright information or contact info. Can I use that so as to retain the 72 dpi in my photo?

Probably. Have you tried just checking Copyright and Contact Info?

It really does not matter since the web does not require any particular PPI. It's a myth that images bound for the internet need to be 72 PPI.

Do you need to keep "Embed Color Profile" checked?

Since your Action converts to sRGB, and these are headed to the intent, you can leave that unchecked.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 10:48 AM   in reply to Kandfoto

Kandfoto wrote:

On the pulldown menu of Metadata, I'm using "All Except Camera Info." Is this where the problem lies? I do not want to strip my copyright information or contact info.

When you choose either of the options that start with "All...", the resolution metadata from the photo is included. When you choose one of the first three options, the resolution metadata is not included.

You're getting 300 dpi because you chose one of the "All" options and your document's current resolution is 300 dpi (in Image > Image Size). If you want to keep copyright and contact info but exclude resolution, it sound like you might want to choose "Copyright and Contact Info". When I tried this, Bridge and other apps reported 72 dpi.

Kandfoto wrote:

Can I use that so as to retain the 72 dpi in my photo?

This really is not an issue. When you upload to the web, the only two numbers that matter are width in pixels and height in pixels. Not dpi. Try this: Prepare three versions of your 960 px image at 72 dpi, 300 dpi, and 2400 dpi (no resampling) and upload them to Facebook, 500px, Photo.net, etc.

As long as all three images are still 960 pixels on a side, you're going to find that all three versions, even the 2400 dpi one, appear at exactly the same size on those web sites...because dpi is not used.

We all need to stop thinking about "72 dpi for the web." Many desktop monitors today are over 100 dpi, and if you are preparing images for Retina displays they're going to be several times higher than 72 dpi.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 10:29 AM   in reply to Conrad Chavez

You're getting 300 dpi because you chose one of the "All" options and your document's current resolution is 300 dpi (in Image > Image Size).

This is not quite right, there is a bug in Save for Web that it only saves with the original PPI, if you change the PPI and check it with Image - Image Size it shows what you have changed it to, but it will not save with the new PPI.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points