Skip navigation
Colin Brydon
Currently Being Moderated

Thumbnails change from shot colour

Apr 8, 2013 9:06 PM

Tags: #problem #cs5 #color #thumbnails #birdge

My problem is that my CS5 version of Bridge has started changing the colour of its thumbnails. It did not do this before. Now they appear briefly to be correct and are then adjusted sometimes to such an extent that I cannot judge the image. They open in Camera Raw or Photoshop normally. If opened in Camera Raw the colour temperature appears as 'Custom' and is greatly changed.  The 'As Shot' setting is still available and is good.

Why does it change and how do I stop it changing?  I can find no control anywhere in Bridge that effects it, purging the cache makes it better but not right, and subsequent openings make it deteriorate. I see a number of rather similar questions on this site, but nothing that is as simple as my problem nor any answer which I can understand as it relates to my problem.

I am a photographer who has used Photoshop for many years and do not really understand some of the compexities of the modern digital profiles, I hope it is possible to correct this without much understanding!

Thanks for any help,

Colin Brydon

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2013 2:15 AM   in reply to Colin Brydon

It sounds like you have altered the Camera Raw defaults or preferences.

All the develop settings in Camera Raw have starting values, which can be saved as defaults. You can change these settings and save them as new defaults. This is actually encouraged, as you might not like the Adobe defaults.

You do this by opening a new untouched raw file, making a few changes you wish to see in all future images, then click the little menu icon on the right of the develop panel and select Save New Camera Raw Defaults.

I just checked, and you can make White Balance adjustments permanent, just like any other setting.

On the same menu mentioned above, there is also another option 'Reset Camera Raw Defaults'. This will restore your develop settings to Adobe defaults.

Alternatively, open a new untouched raw file, set White Balance to 'As Shot', and select 'Save New Camera Raw Defaults'. This way, you only change one setting.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2013 6:11 AM   in reply to Yammer

It sounds like you have altered the Camera Raw defaults or preferences.

Also check Camera Raw preferences (Bridge / About Bridge CS6 / Camera Raw preferences) and under Default Image Settings double check if there is no Checkmark in front of 'Apply Auto Tone Adjustments' because it sounds also a bit like you have set this to on.

If this setting is on put it off and your problem probably has gone, if it was already off and the tips Yammer P gave did also not help could you provide a screenshot of the problem?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2013 8:28 AM   in reply to Colin Brydon

Colin Brydon wrote:

My problem is that my CS5 version of Bridge has started changing the colour of its thumbnails. It did not do this before. Now they appear briefly to be correct and are then adjusted sometimes to such an extent that I cannot judge the image.

You are seeing the embedded thumbnail at first and then it is replaced by your default settiings, so follow previous advice.  Using embedded thumbnails solves the problem, but depending on your workflow, it may not be best option.  I use them as they are small and fast.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points