Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Formation of URLs

Apr 09, 2013 Apr 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to link from topics in one WebHelp Pro project (published on a Robo Server 9) to topics in another project published on the same server.

When specifying the target of the hyperlinks, should I use the version of the URL that has contains escape characters in place of slashes, etc., or should I use the version that has the ascii characters?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Last fudgement

I have not used these in a while so you may want to test. An Adobe engineer (Tulika Garg) kindly sent me these URLs that I keep as a reference.

There are two ways you can refer to a topic of one project from another for projects published to RoboHelp Server.

Method 1 :

You can use the absolute server path of topics to refer topics from one merged project to another. For example,

WebHelpPro project “help1” published to public area “area1” has a topic “topic1.htm”.

To refer to this topic from another project, you can use hyperlink as: <a href=”/robohelp/robo/server/area1/projects/help1/topic1.htm”>link</a>

Method2:

You can use the relative server path of topics to refer topics from one merged project to another. For example,

WebHelpPro project “help1” published to public area “area1” has a topic “topic1.htm”.

WebhelpPro project “help2” published to public area “area1” has a topic “topic2.htm”.

So server path of topic1.htm is => <rhs install>/ robo/server/area1/projects/help1/topic1.htm

And server path of topic2.htm is =>  <rhs install>/ robo/server/area1/projects/help2/topic2.htm

To refer to topic1.htm from topic2.htm, you can use relative path as : <a href=“../help1/topic1.htm”>link</a>

Here are some other sample URLs that might come in handy that I have used.

http://localhost:8080/robohelp/admin (To reach the adminstrator application and Manage RoboHelp Server.

URL to a Project called EmployeeCare (&prj) and to an Area called HumanResources (&area)

http://localhost:8080/robohelp/server?prj=EmployeeCare&area=HumanResources

Example Context Sensitive Help call

http://localhost:8080/robohelp/server?prj=HumanResouces&area=general&wnd=CSHWindow&ctxid=1

John Daigle

Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor

Evergreen, Colorado

www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you John. I will test these, however the two projects are not merged projects. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further on URLs for WebHelp Pro…

John, someone pointed me to your comment in another discussion on URLs for calling topics via the Web browser regarding the “semantic difference” between “default topic” and “StartPage”.

Where in the RH10 WebHelp Pro properties do I find “StartPage”? Is this the Default Window? The Master Page? Something else?

Also, I have copied the following URL syntax from RH10’s File > View > “View default layout from server” function:

http://server:8080/robohelp/server?&ver=1&area=general&mgr=agm&agt=wsm&wnd=ASK|NewWindow&tpc=/robohelp/robo/server/general/projects/ASK/subfolder_name/topic_name.htm?RINoLog28301=T&ctxid=&project=ASK

As you can see, it contains a few extra parameters in addition to the basic syntax you’ve given (ASK being the project name), and some trailing info that I don’t understand.

My test results indicate it seems to work consistently in our environment, opening the specified *.htm in the correct frameset.

Does anyone see any problems with using this syntax to create URLs that we can distribute to users for direct access to specific WebHelp pages via the Web browser?

Cheers,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 10, 2013 Apr 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

RHS does not have a start page as such. Perhaps the following will help:

http://www.cmcandrew.com/robocolumn/archives/2693

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp