Skip navigation
WestphalFilms
Currently Being Moderated

what is the colorspace we work in Premiere Pro?

Apr 9, 2013 5:45 AM

Tags: #premiere_pro #dslr #cs6 #color_correction #colorspace #5dmarkiii

Hello,

I work with Premiere Pro CS6 and was wondering what colorspace it is we work within this programm.

Is it sRGB or YUV?

When working with footage from a 5D Mark III (which is YUV I reckon) the effects marked with the YUV logo shouldn't have an effect on the color unless I make adjustments within the effect right?

That seems to work with most effects, but when adding the 3-way-cc to a clip, the color changes instantly. The red and blue is decreased even though I didn't adjust anything, I just added the effect to the clip. No presets with the effect.

I thought maybe it is because of the YUV logo and it converts the color to something different, but the footage is YUV so it shouldn't happen.

Is this only happening to me?

Thanks for any help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2013 8:39 AM   in reply to WestphalFilms

I'm seeing the same thing here with Three Way and RGB Color Corrector.  However, both the Fast Color Corrector and RGB Curves seem to leave the color unaltered until you make an adjustment.  I recall an earlier thread where an Adobe employee pointed out that not all effects work in the 709 color space, that some still work in the older SD 601 color space, even with HD material.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 10:32 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim Simon wrote:

I'm seeing the same thing here with Three Way and RGB Color Corrector.  However, both the Fast Color Corrector and RGB Curves seem to leave the color unaltered until you make an adjustment.  I recall an earlier thread where an Adobe employee pointed out that not all effects work in the 709 color space, that some still work in the older SD 601 color space, even with HD material.

That is correct.

It doesn't matter if the FX goes from YUV-YUV. but if it requires a translation from RGB->YUV or YUV->RGB in the process the colorspace conversion damage is done if you started with rec.709 and it was a legacy rec.601.

I've feature requested in the past that all plugins get an icon that shows YUV601 or YUV709 if they do an RGB transform - so that you know it only works one way. That requires a large infrastructure change though.

Perhaps with the feature request addition of the new colorspace rec.2020 with it's bigger gammut that change could be incorporated.

rec.2020 is needed for h.265/HEVC, the new video compression that's 50% more effiicent than h.264/AVC (you'll see it soon on video-on-demand to things like phones and steptop boxes) and for UHDTV.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/27/CIExy1931_Rec_2020_and_Rec_709.svg/300px-CIExy1931_Rec_2020_and_Rec_709.svg.png

Diagram of the CIE 1931 color space that shows the Rec. 2020 (UHDTV) color space in the outer triangle and Rec. 709 (HDTV) color space in the inner triangle. Both Rec. 2020 and Rec. 709 use Illuminant D65 for the white point.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 1:56 PM   in reply to Rallymax-forum

I've feature requested in the past that all plugins get an icon that shows YUV601 or YUV709

I'd prefer if PP was smart enough to just use the 601 space on SD media and 709 on HD media, even with the same effect.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 2:40 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim Simon wrote:

I've feature requested in the past that all plugins get an icon that shows YUV601 or YUV709

I'd prefer if PP was smart enough to just use the 601 space on SD media and 709 on HD media, even with the same effect.

Unfortunately you can't make that assumption.

there are cameras that record HD in 601 and SD that record in 709. - eg a Canon DSLR in low res mode records SD in 709.

You'll always need to have a colorspace override since it's not clear cut what it really is based on frame size.

The BEST thing to do would be to do either one of the following:

1: Mandate that all plugins work in 32bit float YUV (thus making the colorspace problems go away)

2: Have better Importers that allow you to change the auto-detect by "interpret footage" manually setting to 601, 709 or 2020.

the BEST thing to do would be to have both.

the second best would be to have #2.

Ultimately PremierePro should be working in Cxyz so that all colorspaces can be expressed. Since GPU power is capable of doing a YUV or RGB -> Cxyz transform on the fly it would make everything uniform.

my2c.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 4:41 PM   in reply to Rallymax-forum

there are cameras that record HD in 601

Hmmm...standardized formats?  To the best of my knowledge, all HD standards require the 709 space.  I'm not worried about oddball cameras.  Adobe should at least make it work for those that use the standards.

2: Have better Importers that allow you to change the auto-detect by "interpret footage" manually setting to 601, 709 or 2020.

That'd work.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points