Skip navigation
Freddie Hutchins
Currently Being Moderated

BEST EXPORT SETTINGS FOR 7d FOOTAGE?

Apr 9, 2013 6:21 AM

Tags: #export #canon #h.264 #exporting #quality #dslr #codec #compression #canon_7d

Hi I set up a dslr 1080 25 frames per sec sequence and dragged in my h.264 movs to edit, I exported at h.264 hdtv 1080 high quality and it came out slightly pixelated. I also tried exporting with sequence settings and same result- slightly pixelated and not as good as the original movs. It only rendered out as an mp4 or mpeg using these export settings, is that right? what are the best settings to export to so i don't loose any quality? please help

Replies
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Apr 9, 2013 6:42 AM   in reply to Freddie Hutchins

What is your intended final delivery...

YouTube, Blu-ray, broadcast, DVD?

What you intend to do with the finished piece will normally define

the best export format and settings.

What's the best export format or codec?

http://www.video2brain.com/en/lessons/whats-the-best-export-format-or- codec

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2013 2:03 PM   in reply to Freddie Hutchins

For grading you want something lossless, at least visually so if not mathematically.

That means Uncompressed, DPX, ProRes or DNxHD.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 4:31 PM   in reply to Freddie Hutchins

No, I mean edit the original in PP, then export to one of those for the client to grade.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Apr 9, 2013 4:53 PM   in reply to Freddie Hutchins
    pass on to my client and then i imagine they will grade it.

Define 'grade'.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 2:32 AM   in reply to Freddie Hutchins

First question - why are you transcoding the file at all? A colorist needs the least-degraded version possible, which for a lossy format like H.264 means the original files from the camera and an EDL file which defines your edits.

If there's a reason you cannot send them the original footage, the next-best option is to export a lossless image sequence from Premiere (e.g. DPX or PNG). That's how we send a timeline from Premiere Pro to Speedgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 8:21 AM   in reply to Freddie Hutchins

Hi it doesn't give me the option to export as one of those only these options

You have every option I mentioned in that list.  DPX is obvious.  Uncompressed, ProRes and DNxHD are available through QuickTime (assuming the codecs are installed).

You do NOT transcode for your editing.  YOU work with the original material.  The above options are for after the edit, for the colorist, not for you.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points