Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Easy way to select to end of paragraph, but NOT including EOP character

Apr 9, 2013 8:24 AM

Tags: #indesign #selections #end-of-paragraph-marker

Here's a typical scenario - I have a price list with one line item per line. The last piece on the right of each line is the cost. Now I want to make a change to that cost, so I put my cursor to the right of the $ and then select the entire amount.

Sadly, this also selects the end-of-paragraph marker, causing the next line to pull up and wrap to the end of the current line I'm editing. If I select more carefully, of course, I can make it so I don't select that end-of-paragraph marker, and I can even turn Hidden Characters on to make it easier. But it's still finagling and careful selecting.

Is there a Preference or a quick way to select up to the end of a line, but NOT including the end of paragraph marker? (And I'm not talking some advanced search / GREP either - just a quick selection trick...)

Thanks for your ideas!

PS: What the heck happened to the InDesign Forum? The link from the main forums.adobe.com tells you that this forum has been deleted!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2013 8:31 AM   in reply to tomaugerdotcom

No thoughts on improved selection, I'm afraid.

Admin is aware of the "missing" forums (it's more than just ID) and they're working to figure out why.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 9:57 AM   in reply to tomaugerdotcom

tomaugerdotcom wrote:

Here's a typical scenario - I have a price list with one line item per line. The last piece on the right of each line is the cost. Now I want to make a change to that cost, so I put my cursor to the right of the $ and then select the entire amount.

Sadly, this also selects the end-of-paragraph marker, causing the next line to pull up and wrap to the end of the current line I'm editing. If I select more carefully, of course, I can make it so I don't select that end-of-paragraph marker, and I can even turn Hidden Characters on to make it easier. But it's still finagling and careful selecting.

Is there a Preference or a quick way to select up to the end of a line, but NOT including the end of paragraph marker? (And I'm not talking some advanced search / GREP either - just a quick selection trick...)

Thanks for your ideas!

PS: What the heck happened to the InDesign Forum? The link from the main forums.adobe.com tells you that this forum has been deleted!

Depending on your layout and how many of these nuisances need fixing, you might want to search Google for "InDesign data merge free tutorial," and similar terms, without quotes, to see if you might benefit from putting the prices into a spreadsheet or table in almost any word-processing application, and exporting as a comma-delemited, or tab-delimited, text file that you can use as a data source for InDesign's Data Merge.

I haven't seen anyone recommend using a third-party keystroke recorder for tedious work like yours. Maybe these don't exist any more for Macs or PCs, or they're built into many applications, or maybe so many other ways exist to do those tasks. It's worth a search, though.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 10:34 AM   in reply to tomaugerdotcom

I can easily select a price without grabbing the EOP marker, beginning after the currency symbol--if I am not fully zoomed out anyway.

But...I usually use the keyboard. I click after the currency sign, hit shift+end and it doesn't select the EOP.

Sometimes when I am in a hurry and using the mouse, I'll select from  the end of the value and left-mouse button to the currency marker. Even when I start wide of the end of paragraph, it doesn't select the EOP.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 11:45 PM   in reply to tomaugerdotcom

@Tom – for selecting the whole paragraph without the EOP character, see the following script (JavaScript/ExtendScript):

//SelectParagraphWithoutEOP.jsx
    //Uwe Laubender

/**
    * @@@BUILDINFO@@@ SelectParagraphWithoutEOP.jsx !Version! Wed Apr 10 2013 08:44:54 GMT+0200
    */

//DESCRIPTION:Selects a single paragraph without the EOP character

app.scriptPreferences.userInteractionLevel = UserInteractionLevels.interactWithAll;

if(app.selection.length === 0 || app.selection.length > 1){alert("Select a piece of text of a full paragraph! Could also be a single insertion point. Try again!");exit(0)};

try{

if(app.selection[0].paragraphs[0].characters[-1].contents === "\r" && app.selection[0].paragraphs[0].characters.length>1){
            app.select(app.selection[0].paragraphs[0].characters.itemByRange(app.selection[0].paragraphs[0].characters[0],app.selection[0].paragraphs[0].characters[-2]));
            };

if(app.selection[0].paragraphs[0].characters[-1].contents !== "\r" && app.selection[0].paragraphs[0].characters.length>1){
            app.select(app.selection[0].paragraphs[0].characters.itemByRange(app.selection[0].paragraphs[0].characters[0],app.selection[0].paragraphs[0].characters[-1]));
            };

}catch(e){alert("Select a piece of text of a full paragraph! Could also be a single insertion point. Try again!");exit(0)};

Usage:
    just select a piece of text and double click the script in the Scripts Panel (or better: assign a keyboard shortcut to it).

"Whole paragraph" in the context of that script means:
    whole paragraph WITHOUT the EOP character.

Some cases:

If you selected a single insertion point, the whole paragraph is selected.
    Even so with a selected junk of text.

If the selection crosses paragraph borders, the first paragraph of the selection is selected (see for one exception below).

If you selected an empty paragraph (just the EOP character), nothing will happen!

Also if the first character you selected is the EOP character of an empty paragraph.

If you select a single text frame the first paragraph in the text frame is selected.

If you select no text or no text frame or more than one text frames an alert will pop up and the script is stopped.
    If you select the first insertion point of an otherwise empty text frame with an empty story, an alert will pop up.

Uwe

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points