I created an Action macro to convert documents contained in a directory in our corporate LAN.
The macro stipulated the source "Start With" as "A Folder on My Computer". The folder was specified using a UNC file naming convention as other users of this macro might have different drive mappings,
The "Save To" was set as "The Same Folder Selected at Start".
I then saved the macro and ran it.
As each word document was processed, it would open Word and leave the document on the screen. After processing 20 documents I would have 20 word documents opened. The folder contained 1000s of documents so after about 30, the computer would grind to a halt.
If I tried to close the document, I would get a prompt asking to save my changes which of course, none were made.
I looked at Word settings and Acrobat Pro settings but could not find any setting that would impact my problem.
So, I changed the "Start with" as "A Folder on My Computer", but instead of using a UNC file name, I provided a mapped drive and path location to the same folder. Low and behold, the document processing worked without the problem of Word leaving the documents open.
Please fix this problem in a future release.
Just wondering, with the discovery of this bug, do I get a free iPad or something????
@Michael, Thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately, I think you misunderstood how I was going about running this maco. I am just running the macro that is part of Adobe Pro tools which is part of the Adobe Pro interface - no Java script is used, just the interface provided by Adobe Pro.
This is probably a bug (though whether in Word or Acrobat isn't something I know how to find out). But Acrobat's batch conversion facilities are light duty, best used for a dozen files at most. I occasionally see people trying to use it as if it was a batch engine to do serious amounts of work on dozens to thousands of files, but it ends in tears. It's just not made for that. For best results, convert a dozen, then completely quit Acrobat and Word, then continue.
Or look into Adobe's "LiveCycle PDF Generator" product which is designed to sit on a server all day doing this sort of thing without anyone running it.
I looked up UNC and found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_%28computing%29#UNC_in_Windows. From looking through this site, I concluded the problem may be a limitation of Windows. The process you are using likely uses DOS processing and thus you run into this DOS limitation. I am purely guessing, but it seems reasonable that it is an OS issue and not an Acrobat issue. Acrobat does not always work well with network drives and this may be a key to that problem. Now that I have shown I know nothing about what I just said, maybe it will make sense to you.
@Bill, based on what I have observed, Adobe is opening the designated word document in Word, then printing it to the Adobe PDF printer to create the PDF file into the designated path indicated in the script.
Based on this, I don't think it's a DOS issue (although fundamentally DOS is running under Windows).
I think it is how Adobe is using Word when it is generating the PDF when the source file is referenced with a UNC name instead of a mapped drive. I have opened and merged documents within Word using UNC files name conventions without issue in Word, so I dont think it's a problem with Word per se, but how Adobe is interacting with it.
This all being said, some debugging needs to be done at Adobe to source and resolve the issue.
Thanks for all your input though. :-D