Skip navigation
Peacock
Currently Being Moderated

Unlocking linked files.

Apr 9, 2013 9:42 AM

Occasionally I have to edit or use old pdf files that were created by my predecessors, who created the files by linking artwork placed within the file. Ordinarily that wouldn't be a problem, except that the folders containing all the linked files are long gone. When I open the files in Reader, I can zoom in on the images very closely and see that the image in very high resolution, which seems to indicate that there is vector art within the file, but when I open in Illustrator I get the message that says the artwork is no longer located at the indicated link. Is there any way to get this phantom version of the art that is only visible in Reader? I have opened in photoshop and grabbed it that way, but if there is a way to get it still as a vector, that would be better.

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2013 10:15 AM   in reply to Peacock

You are not providing any information about what version of Illustrator you are using and about what file formats you are talking.

So, just a guess: Try placing and embedding the files in a blank Illustrator document.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 10:47 AM   in reply to Peacock

Acrobat >> File >> Save as >> More Options >> Encapsulated Poscript

Then open the .eps in Illustrator. Will be in one layer, and text blocks will be broken up illogically,  but may give you what you need.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 10:49 AM   in reply to Peacock

Have you already tried my guess?

That is, placing and embedding those .pdf files in a blank Illustrator document.

You may then get the same as you get in Acrobat or Acrobat Reader.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 12:16 PM   in reply to Peacock

You can also just open the pdf in Illustrator to save time. I do that all the time.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 12:32 PM   in reply to Jeffcd19

No, you can't. When the file still contains an AI part (as is the case here), that will be opened. And since the files are linked, they are not in the AI. The PDF part contains embedded files, but it will only be opened when there's no AI part.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 12:36 PM   in reply to Jeffcd19

Not in that case. If you read carefully you'd conclude that we are talking about .pdf files that obviously include an .ai portion.

Just opening means to import just the .ai portion and thereby the unknown linked files dilemma.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 12:52 PM   in reply to Kurt Gold

Oh yep, fair enough, just tried it out and yeah even if you save the ai file as pdf with "High Quality Print" settings it still won't work. I was thinking the pdf had everything embeded in in it

Thanks Monika and Kurt

Jeff

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points