Skip navigation
jzeigler_phfa
Currently Being Moderated

Importing Excel Data to Drop Down Box

Apr 9, 2013 10:19 AM

I have two columns of data that I need a drop down box to reference.  I cannot for the life of me figure this out even after reading through multiple tutorials.  Adobe Pro XI and Adobe Forms Central.

I don't want to have to manually enter each field because there are too many to hand-key and too many possibilities for mistakes.

Replies
  • George Johnson
    11,671 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Apr 9, 2013 11:26 AM   in reply to jzeigler_phfa

You need to provide more details. Are you asking about populating a dropdown field with items that you have in an Excel spreadsheet? If so, have you seen this: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1025337?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,671 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Apr 9, 2013 11:56 AM   in reply to jzeigler_phfa

First of all, you mentioned FormsCentral. Is the form you're creating intended to work with the FormsCentral service?

You say you have two columns in the spreadsheet. Do you want one dropdown to have items from the first column and another dropdown to have items from the second, or something else?

I directed you to another thread here that shows one method for populating a drop down with items that you copy from a spreadsheet. Have you tried it, and of so, in what way does it not do what you want?

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,671 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Apr 9, 2013 12:27 PM   in reply to jzeigler_phfa

OK, forget about FormsCentral for the moment. The link changed because Adobe made a change to the Acrobat.com service, so here's the updated link: https://workspaces.acrobat.com/?d=sIJoabh12oYOY19AuTZ9yw

This file allows you to copy the Excel data, paste it into a text field on the form, and populate the dropdown at the top with the items you copied. In your ase, I would copy from Excel to a text editor first,  and then copy from there to the text field on the form. Once the dropdown is populated with the items, copy the field from the form to your form, resize, and change any other properties to it looks like you want.

Post again if you get stuck.

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,671 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Apr 9, 2013 12:59 PM   in reply to jzeigler_phfa

If the dropdown is populated with the items that you want, you just need to copy the entire field from the form and paste it into your form. To do this, you can go into form editing mode (Tools > Forms > Edit), use the select tool (black arrow) to select and copy the dropdown, and then paste it into your form.

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,671 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Apr 9, 2013 1:27 PM   in reply to jzeigler_phfa

Just to the first item that starts with the character entered. Subsequent presses of that same letter will cycle through the other items starting with that letter. Dropdowns are limited to this behavior.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 8, 2013 5:43 PM   in reply to George Johnson

George

I dont know if this the correct way to ask a question or not Ive never used this forum before. I couldnt find any other way to ask you directly a question about this subject you answered in the past. So i just hit reply to ask you about it. I hope thats OK.  I found your info about this issue very helpful I have the same probIem. I downloaded the file to populate the menu. I populated it and then copied it to the form I am building. The only thing is it wont populate all of the entries I copied it just stops at a certain point. I did what you suggested about copying the data to notepad first then the to the menu. It works just not all of the data. Are there any limitations to the amount of data or settings that need to be changed or something? I would appreciate any help on this.

Thanks

Shawn

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points