Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign DPS: Simple animation does not work in folio?

Apr 9, 2013 2:22 PM

Tags: #folio_animation

I'm building a simple recipe app using InDesign CS6, using the Digital Publishing tools.

On one page I applied an animation, "fly in from bottom" to an object.

When I eventually build the folio and view it on my ipad with the Adobe Content Viewer, the animation does not work on that page.

I've watched a couple tutorials on how to use the animation tools, how to set the path, etc. but none of them mention any other steps for getting the animation to work once you build the folio.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Bruce

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2013 2:25 PM   in reply to ediblesf

InDesign animations are not supported in DPS. They're SWF only.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,638 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2013 4:54 PM   in reply to ediblesf

Edge Animate has built-in tutorials. Click the Getting Started tab.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 2:50 PM   in reply to ediblesf

Yes, that would be the way to do it. Put it the image sequence in an MSO.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 5:11 PM   in reply to ediblesf

You can't. You may have to split the image sequence into more than one state. Without seeing it I can't really tell what you need to do.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 5:49 PM   in reply to ediblesf

Try a three state MSO. First state auto plays the image sequence and has a button over it which goes to the next state that only has the plus sign. Put a button in there that goes to a third state that has a static image of the "two quick steps."

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 8:12 PM   in reply to ediblesf

Okay, I'm gonna try helping out on this....  I don't think layers have any effect on this, or at least I haven't noticed they do, the just help keep you organized and maybe for arrangment...

So....

You can just lock the background, it isn't involved, it is just the background.

1. Make your button to open/start the sequence and make your finished state and an empty box.  In this case the button the button is just a text frame.  The finished state is a shape, text frame and two lines grouped (to make an "x" for the close button).  In your case it will be your image sequence and the button to close it.  Have all the elements of the finished state grouped.

Screen Shot 2013-04-11 at 10.54.09 PM.png

2. Select both groups.  In the object states panel, hit the new button.  you should now have a multistate object with two states.  One empty state and one state with your sequence, etc..

Screen Shot 2013-04-11 at 10.54.19 PM.png

3. Now select your open button.  In the button panel, choose the add action button "+" and choose Got to State (or go to next state) and make sure the object is the multistate object you just created.  For the state, choose the state with your sequence.

Screen Shot 2013-04-11 at 10.54.43 PM.png

4. Now select your multistate object.  In the object states panel choose the state with your image sequence and close button.  Select your close button.  Go to the buttons panel and add an action to go back to the empty state.

Test it out, it should work fine now.  I don't have an image sequence handy, but you may have to mess with the autoplay settings, etc.  but it should work just fine.

Notes of interest:  As buttons display only as raster on an iPad, I find it best to make a clear button on top of the button graphic.  That way the button can be vector. and the clear box becomes raster.

I really, really reccomend watching some of the videos on Adobe TV, they explain and review a bunch of this.  Also, there is an app called DPS Tips App by Bob Bringhurst for free on the Apple Store, he explains all the goodies quite well.  You can also use Wallaby to convert indesign animation to flash and then HTML5, but that gets more complicated and it can also have a load delay. Good Luck!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points