Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 (Windows) My Images are not filling the entire program window

Apr 9, 2013 2:09 PM

My sequence is set to 1920x1080 and I have imported some images (Tiff's) into it that are of the resolution. Yet, when I go to those images in the timeline, they are not filling the entire available space. The entire image is being displayed, but it is supposed to fill the entire screen. You can see for yourself with this image attachments.

Ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2013 2:11 PM   in reply to AdobeNewbey

The entire image is being displayed, but it is supposed to fill the entire screen.

That's only true if the image and the sequence have the same aspect ratio.  In this case, they don't.  So, you either see the whole image but get some black, or you scale the image to fill the screen, but cut part of it off.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 2:23 PM   in reply to AdobeNewbey

1. Make sure App/Edit menu > Preferences > General > Default Scale to Frame Size = true

2. Make sure the aspect ratios match - If they don't match, then you'll need to do some scaling, or live with the black space.

And just to avoid confusion: a value like 1920x1080 represents pixel depth and not necessarily resolution . The pixel aspect ratio in your sequence is 1.333 and for the iamge it's probably 1.0 (square pixels)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 2:21 PM   in reply to AdobeNewbey

Anyway, the images and the sequence are the exact same resolution

It doesn't look that way from the posted image.  But you can also right click on the images in the bin and go to Modify>Interpret Footage... and make sure the Pixel Aspect Ratio is set to 1.0 (square pixels).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 4:33 PM   in reply to AdobeNewbey

I just figured out what's happening.

You have a 1920 x 1080 sequence with the PAR set to 1.33.  That's not normal.  With 1920 x 1080, the PAR should be 1.0.  With a PAR of 1.33, the dimensions should be 1440 x 1080.  You've mixed the two.

Create a new sequence with the proper settings.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 7:22 PM   in reply to AdobeNewbey

OK, the Default Scale to Frame Size box was unchecked, I checked it.

I forgot to mention that it only applies to images you import from that point on, so you'd have to re-import anything that you want it to apply to. But, you're much better off sizing everything outside of PrPro (e.g. in Photoshop) to the sixe you need it to be rather than letting ppro scale it for you, because they're resampling algorithms are better and let you optimized for reducing, etc.

It really seems like you have a pixal aspect ratio mismatch. Photos are almost always going to be square pixe;s unless you explicity edited the phot to change that at some point. And your sequence is clearly not set to a 1.0 (square) ratio, which would clearly explain why the width does not match even though tthe pixel depth is the same. You just need a enw sequence, with a 1.0 PAR.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 11:18 AM   in reply to AdobeNewbey

Good news, and thanks for reporting how you fixed things. PAR mis-matches can cause about the same problems as Aspect Ratio can.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points