Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

DW "opens" document, shows nothing

Apr 9, 2013 3:17 PM

I created a document yesterday in DW CS6 on PC, and uploaded to my server space.

Today, I dragged it down from my server to Local Mac harddrive, tried to open in DW CS6 on Mac OS X, and DW will just sit there, showing me nothing. the bottom of the Window menu says No Documents Open.

Any clue what's going on here?

thank you!

w

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2013 3:48 PM   in reply to wkjeiwoi

Use the GET (down arrow) to download pages and dependant files from your remote server.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2013 4:15 PM   in reply to wkjeiwoi

What's the URL to your page?

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Apr 9, 2013 11:02 PM   in reply to wkjeiwoi

Are you able to open the faulting file with another text editor such as Textedit, Textmate, Textwrangler or Notepad/ Notepad++?

What is the file format? Are you able to open the file by using DW > File > Open instead of double-clicking?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 10:47 AM   in reply to wkjeiwoi

wkjeiwoi wrote:

Today, I dragged it down from my server to Local Mac harddrive, tried to open in DW CS6 on Mac OS X,

Could you elaborate on the exact steps you used to do this?

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Apr 10, 2013 11:10 AM   in reply to wkjeiwoi

Are you able to open other files within dreamweaver?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 1:52 PM   in reply to wkjeiwoi

FWIW... It's NOT the app that "cares".. It's the OS.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 2:13 PM   in reply to wkjeiwoi

It's not just DW. Try opening a PDF with word... even one with OCR. While there IS readable text in it, Word won't open it because the default app to open a PDF (as determined by the file properties in your OS) when double clicked is Reader or Acrobat. Once you change the default app to DW for HTML files, a double click will open them with the default app, which is now DW. But that's an OS setting not a DW setting.

I keep Firefox as my default app to open HTML files because with this crappy Micorosoft mouse I have, I've "accidentally edited" some files with a sticking left button as I move to click something else. So, a double click opens the doc in a read only app (browser).

If I want to open an HTML file for editing, I do it from within DW, where I'm already prepared to edit it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 2:54 PM   in reply to wkjeiwoi
    However, in my situation, DW would not open .html and .php files from within Dreamweaver!

Evidently, your operating system's file association with TextWrangler has trumped DW.

If you have defined your local site folder properly in DW, you should be able to open files from the Files Panel on left side.  See screenshot.

CheckMagazineFiles.jpg

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 3:44 PM   in reply to wkjeiwoi

wkjeiwoi wrote:

Right: when double-clicked. Absolutely right.

However, in my situation, DW would not open .html and .php files from within Dreamweaver!

IOW, I would launch DW, go to the file menu, select open, find my file, hit return and DW would not open that file.

I'd bet dollars to donuts, that if you double clicked a document in your Files panel it would open just fine. That's the way I do it, anyway.

File>Open creates an OS interface when the "browse" window opens and then it defaults to the designated app as defined in your OS to open the program. Unfortuantely, with HTML docs it simply doesn't open them, nothing more. If you tried it with an MP3 DW would tell you it's not a file that can be opened.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2013 11:37 AM   in reply to wkjeiwoi

Try creating a New User Account with Admin level privileges.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/adding-a-new-user-account-in-mac -os-x.html

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Apr 28, 2013 9:06 PM   in reply to wkjeiwoi

Try clearing your preferences/ cache by following instructions here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/494811

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points