Skip navigation
GeneJA
Currently Being Moderated

How to retain layer when exporting to tif with CS5 Illustrator?

Apr 9, 2013 3:27 PM

Tags: #exporting_tif_layers #exporting_tif

I have a client that wanted the illustrator file given to him in tif format so that they would be able to have the layers available in another software package such as Photoshop. I exported the file uncompressed to a tif format, then ftp to their location. They told me when they opened it it was flattened to 1 layer. They were right I opened the file I sent in photoshop and it was one layer. I then tried to open the tif file in illustrator and it too was flattened. This was a complex file with many layers. So, after researching and trying all the suggestions I could find, such as ungrouping everything that was grouped then exporting again, it did nothing and I verified all color space was the same, but that didn't work even when trying to open the exported tif with illustrator.

So, instead of wrestling with a big file I created a 2 layer file. 1 layer contains an object, and the other text, nothing complicated. I then tried exporting the file as tif; same results the file was flattened to one layer both in photoshop and illustrator. The only way I could retain the layers was to export as a psd file. So, how do you export an illustrator file with layers as a tif and retain the layers?

Thank you for any help offered.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2013 3:45 PM   in reply to GeneJA

Tiffs don't generally contain layers. Photoshop writes some proprietary data to tiff files to maintian layers. Export as a layered .psd, then open in Photoshop and save as a layered .tif.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 1:09 AM   in reply to GeneJA

As Scott said, there is generally no layered TIFF format. You will have to use PS to produce it's arbitrary TIFF "layers", which are merely a bunch of sub-images in one file held together by custom user data.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 8:25 PM   in reply to GeneJA

Why not just save as a layered PDF? That can be opened in Photoshop with layers...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points