Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Yearbook in InDesign

Apr 9, 2013 5:02 PM

I am a yearbook advisor at the HS where I teach.  I am very inexperienced using ID.  I have learned a little about the book feature ID has but not totally sure how to accomplish what I need to accomplish.

Is there a way to set up master pages that the book uses like there is in just an individual ID File.  What I need is a master page that I could use that would put the page numbers and page topics at the bottom.  I may also want to put a logo on each page in the same location througout the book as well.  I somewhat understand how to create different sections and those kind of things using ID book feature but I don't know how to make a master spread that would be something that the whole book would have for certain elements on each spread.  Thanks for all your help.

Ultimately what I need to over come that the book feature helps with is having 10 different kids working on their own 2 page spreads, then bringing them all into one central location and having common elements that only have to be created once....rather than having all the different kids placing these elements on each of their own spreads.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2013 5:44 PM   in reply to Huskerfan29

The book feature isn't a magic bullet. What you probably want to do is create a blank file with the common elements you want and save it as a template, then let the students make new files based on the template. Templates have a .indt file extension and open as an untitled copy. You can put in anything you like -- master pages, placeholders for objects, your logos, swatches, styles, and so forth that you want them to use.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 5:20 AM   in reply to Huskerfan29

That's what I was suggesting.

Ideally you don't want to have to change anything on the template later because there is no link between the template and the copies made from it. If your logo is placed art of some sort, however, you can edit the original art and updat the links in all files. If your log is drawn directly in ID, make a file to hold just the logo, then palce that page as a link in the new template. Any changes tot he log will be done in the orignal logo file, and the new files will update the links just like a placed .ai, PDF or image file.

You might also get away with editing the master page (if the logo is on the master page) in one of your spreads after assembling them into a Book, then synch the master pages, but that's a bit iffier, I think.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 6:10 AM   in reply to Huskerfan29

Huskerfan29 wrote:

Can I import ID files into a larger indesign file.

Yes, absolutely. File > Place..., select the file and show import options to select a page, or use Scott Zanelli's script if you want t o place all pages: InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Zanelli Releases MultiPageImporter for Importing both PDF and INDD Files

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 11:26 AM   in reply to Huskerfan29

Placing pages from one ID file into another is in may ways like placing a picture of the page. There is no auto-flow (unless you run a script) and the placed pages are not editable in the destination document. All editing on those pages must be done in theoriginal file.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 1:32 PM   in reply to Huskerfan29

In InDesign, you have a very wide variety of extremely configurable solutions. I'd say that approximately zero of them are "simple." This is one of those "fast, cheap, good: pick two" moments, you know?

You're getting capsule descriptions from Peter of a variety of different possible workflows. Any of them would work for you - if you, or someone else, actually fleshed 'em out and specified all of the necessary bits, identified boundary cases, and made some allowances for Murphy's Law.

Another possible workflow is the one you were asking about - making a Book file and adding in spreads built by the students. That one could work, too, but once again would require someone to flesh out the details, and turn it from an idea to a workflow.

(Book files are a huge headache, and the only time I use 'em is when I'm in a situation analagous to yours. The big difference is that all of the students are, in my case, competent users of InDesign. And the guy waving the baton - that'd be me - has been using InDesign daily since 2003 or whatever. Even in that circumstance, I am always reluctant to use a Book file. Easier to do what Peter has already suggested - make a template file, distribute it, place the resulting student-generated INDDs into a master INDD file and handle 'em as if they were images. It's what I would tell you to do if you were paying my consultation hourly rate - but for the fact that, instead of just saying "Do it this way!" I'd actually flesh it out and provide samples and demos and suchlike.)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 11:18 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

Actually, I was thinking more on the lines of using the template for the students to make the spreads, then combine those in a book. I think that's probably less hassle than placing doezens of pages into a new file.

The suggestion for placing pages was directed at the logo that needs to be updated, but only if it's being created directly in ID. If it's external art, like a .ai file, there wouldn't be any need to palce one ID file into another.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2013 11:25 PM   in reply to Huskerfan29

You can put all the master items on it's own layer, and put this layer on the top most of layers stack.

master items.jpg

an other option: if your all layout on just one layer select the elements on the master page and go to Object menu>Arrange>Bring to Front.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 4:58 AM   in reply to Salah Fadlabi

Salah Fadlabi wrote:

an other option: if your all layout on just one layer select the elements on the master page and go to Object menu>Arrange>Bring to Front.

Either I don't understand what you are saying here, or this is incorrect. The stacking order on the master page affects the order of master objects relative to one another, but you cannot bring master objects in front of document page objects on the same layer without overriding them onto the document page.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 8:43 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Hi, Peter

yes i meant what you said (overriding). but from my side i prefer element of the master page it put on it's own layer.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 8:46 AM   in reply to Salah Fadlabi

I completely agree. In my opinion 99.9% of the time a master object that needs to be overridden should not be on the master page to begin with.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 9:57 AM   in reply to Huskerfan29

Here's how stacking works:

On any layer, master objects are behind all document page objects on that particular layer, but master objects on layers that are higher in the stack will still be in front of all objects on any layer that is lower in the stack.

If you go back and look at Salah's picture, if you put your page numbers on the master page on the top layer, labeled Master Items in the example, they will be in front of anything on eityher of the two layers below, so you can put your color bar on either of those layers, or even add an additonal layer to the top of the stack just to hold page numbers if you need it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points