Skip navigation
Gary Singh
Currently Being Moderated

How do I paint inside an Illustration created without any single fixed shape?

Apr 9, 2013 10:05 PM

Tags: #color_fill #fill_methods

Please excuse my extreme novice skills in Illustrator. I took more than an hour to create this, a rather easy to draw Illustration of one of the characters in Family Guy TV Show.

The thing is, I don't know how to fill in it. I have created this Illustration mostly using lines and arcs (that's where my novice skills come to play).

1. I can see a 'Live Paint Bucket' tool, but how do I use it? More importantly, is this specific tools used to fill colour?

2. The cartoon's head is facing exactly at the front. In Photoshop, I could transform the image to follow an angle perspective, how can I perform this in Illustrator?

3. The fill type I'm aiming for is the one in the sample image. I'd like that shadow (darker variation in colours towards edges) too on this cartoon's face and clothes. Can that be done too?

4. Are there other methods to fill (may be like combining paths and shapes to create a single shape or something like this)?

Stewie Illustrated

Stewie (Illustrated).png

Sample image:

Stewie (Sample).jpg

Link for the .ai file : http://sdrv.ms/10SUC1l

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2013 12:23 AM   in reply to Gary Singh

Start by grouping items suitably - selegt, hit Ctrl+G. Then you can enable Live Paint groups from teh Object menu as well as transform items together. Getting alternate colors will require using any form of gradient (simple gradient, gradient meshes, blends) or separating items into individual fill areas. That, just like combining items, may require using pathfinder operations, compound paths, otehr stuff. You should search the web for some tutorials based on those keywords in AI lingo...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2013 6:07 AM   in reply to Gary Singh

Make a Live Paint group and use the bucket for filling shapes.

This job would have been better done using the Pen tool and closed paths.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points