Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Marquee selection deletion.

Apr 10, 2013 1:05 AM

Does anyone know how to use the Marquee tool in Fireworks CS6 to choose an area of a vector eclipse and delete it?

I'm running it on Windows 7 x64. I've managed to do this to a vactor rectangle...once! I started out just wanting to halve an eclipse but found that the marquee tool is a bit temperamental.

Anyone got any ideas?

Steps I took:

1. Draw an eclipse.

2. Make sure eclipse is selected.

3. Choose Marquee tool.

4. Box in half of eclipse.

5. Hit Delete.

...nothing! Like I said, it worked once on a rectangle, and I have no idea why. I googled it and all the steps shown online (like using Ctrl and the cursor to cut the section away) do not work.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2013 6:15 AM   in reply to adobe_monkey_wilko

The Marquee tool is for bitmap objects only; it won't work on vector objects. To remove part of a vector, you could use the knife tool to slice across the path in two locations, then delete the sliced section, or draw anoter shape, place it over top your original vector, select both objects and choose Modify> Combine Paths > Punch. In your example above, either of these options would work, but the Punch option would give you a complete closed path.

HTH

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 6:42 AM   in reply to adobe_monkey_wilko

He applied a bitmap filter to the ellipse, whcih automatically converts the ellipse to a bitmap. Watch the layers panel as he creates the oval, then applies the blur. You will see the object icon change in the Layers panel. Same thing happens when he duplicates and applies filters to the duplicate rectangle.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 7:05 AM   in reply to adobe_monkey_wilko

The Filters menu has always applied bitmap, rasterized (destructive) effects. Live Filters in the Properties panel gives you always editable, all the time, filter effects, including the ability to stack and reorganize any effects applied to a vector or bitmap object. While many of the filters seem the same, you'll notcie there are some filters available in Live filters that you don't find in the main Filters menu.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 12:25 PM   in reply to adobe_monkey_wilko

The Smart Punch and Smart Knife extensions can help you make these kinds of edits:

http://johndunning.com/fireworks/about/SmartPunch

http://johndunning.com/fireworks/about/SmartKnife

You can't use a bitmap marquee on top of the ellipse to punch it (since the ellipse gets deselected as soon as you switch to the marquee tool), but you can just create a rectangle over one half of the ellipse.  Then select both and run Smart Punch to remove that half.

Smart Knife works similarly, but with an arbitrarily complex path, and leaves two (or more) pieces behind after the cut, instead of deleting pieces.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points