Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Relinking Media

Apr 10, 2013 3:58 AM

Tags: #files #link #import #canon #clips

Hi all,

I'm sure that this question was asked befor but unfortunatly I don't find the right post here.

I started editing a project on my laptop with mediafiles form a Canon XF. On the laptop, the footage is in a subfolder beside the premiere project file. Now I move to faster desktop computer and put the project file and the footage to two different drives. When I start my project, premiere asking me where the media is, thats obvious. When I remember right, usually I show premiere the path of the first media and the rest ist linked automatically. But now only the one file ist relinked. What can I do that premiere automatically find every asset?

Thx

Johannes

edit

ok, for now I found a solution. I just copied the project file to the media drive so that again the same folder structure is there. then "save as" to the new location. But the question still remains. What if i have to relink media files where I don't know the exact file structure?

Replies
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Apr 10, 2013 4:45 AM   in reply to jojejo

What if i have to relink media files where I don't know the exact file structure?

You hunt for them.

Hunting.png

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Apr 10, 2013 5:25 AM   in reply to jojejo

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2013 5:45 AM   in reply to jojejo

See this 'Link & Locate' Adobe TV episode on how it will be in PrPro CS Next:

Meanwhile, have a look at this discussion.

P.S. Sorry Bill, nothing personal, just a business.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Apr 10, 2013 5:57 AM   in reply to Fuzzy Barsik

Very nifty!  Thanks for the post!

I'm still waiting for the "Automate To Emmy" function.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 8:59 AM   in reply to jojejo

jojejo wrote: What can I do that premiere automatically find every asset?

First, watch the video that Fuzzy posted above. (looks like you did already, good)

Relinking was one of our top feature requests at CS6, and earlier. So we re-did it all for this upcoming version. In many cases, if your media has just been moved to a nearby location and all the realtive paths are the same, it will just find it for you and you won't have to relink at all. If you've moved it further away (like to a new system or drive, or to a different root path) you will have to point it to the first file and it will find everything else for you if the relative positions are unchanged or at least close. In the case where a lot of files have been moved to a lot of places, it will just prompt you whenever it gets to a file it can't find, and then continue relinking automatically from there. Also the locate file dialog contains its own media browser instances, so it should be a lot easier to navigate when you do have to hunt for your media.

Relink workflows are like snowflakes, so it won't work perfectly for everyone all the time. And like anything 'automatic', if you know what you're doing, and you expect it to perform in a certain way, you may be better off going manual. For that reason, we've allowed you to toggle off the the 'relink others automatically' and also to bypass the locate file dialog in favor of the OS finder if you prefer.

I'm not just trying to sell you on CS7 (I get no incentive for that). I just want you to know that relink has been a pain point for our users for a long time. It was greatly in need of an overhaul, which it has just gotten. I beleive that it is greatly improved for this next version, and if early reviews/previews are any indictation, our users will agree.

-James Strawn

DVA-QA

PS @ fuzzy: I'm not sure how clear Al's demo video made this, but the last known file path is now visible as a hard-text column in the Link Media dialog. More importantly, there is a 'Last Path' field in the locate file dialog which is selectable & copy-able (but not editable). And fianlly, there is an editable Path field below 'last path'. So you can now copy/past and/or edit the text to just point it to a different root or modified path or whatever. I just read some posts on that other thread from you that looked like you were wanting to do something like that, so I thought you'd want to know.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 4:12 PM   in reply to jojejo

Sorry that I was out of town for a bit.

Joe is correct, in that you will need to do a bit of navigation (hunting) for the new locations. This article goes into more detail on handling the "Where is file ___ ?" dialog: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4598705#4598705

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 3:04 AM   in reply to joe bloe premiere
    I'm still waiting for the "Automate To Emmy" function.

Make sure you have all the latest updates installed:

PrPro. Emmy Awarded Movie Effect.jpg

P.S.

James Strawn wrote:

I'm not sure how clear Al's demo video made this... I just read some posts on that other thread from you that looked like you were wanting to do something like that, so I thought you'd want to know.

Yep, clear enough! That's why I posted the Adove TV episod first, but not just the link to my posts. Yeah, I requested this feature

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Apr 11, 2013 4:46 AM   in reply to Fuzzy Barsik

Make sure you have all the latest updates installed:

Wow... thanks!!!

I am going to apply this new feature to my screen captured

video game footage as soon as I get it installed!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 11:16 AM   in reply to jojejo

That single folder per Clip does increase the work load. While tapeless is great in many respects, there can be little downsides, such as the folder structure. Never a reason to turn one's back on tapeless, as having to re-link is not that common, unless one has changed HDD's, Renamed, or Moved things about. This should be a one-time deal. Just get a cup of coffee (I recommend decaf here), and unplug the phone. Wish there was an easy way in PrPro, up to CS 6.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 9:00 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I'd still prefer camera makers just stopped using folders and put everything in one MXF file.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 3:26 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

FWIW relinking in CS Next (CS7?) has been described by Josh at retooled.net as "magic".

http://www.retooled.net/?cat=6&paged=4

3rd down from top.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points