Skip navigation
video4success
Currently Being Moderated

How much computer is enough computer to do editing with Adobe Elements 11 for the PC?

Apr 10, 2013 9:33 AM

Tags: #premiere #elements #graphics #intel #11 #hd #hard #drive #second #i5-3490 #2500 #h/p #hewlett/packard #p7-1515

I've migrated away from SONY Vegas MovieStudio for the reason that it could not render out smooth-playing files for upload to the internet (I suspect SONY codecs are not so good). I find that my 4-year-old H/P Pavilion w/ AMD Athlon II 4-core CPU is not up to the task of editing with Adobe Premiere Elements 11.

SOLUTION: I've recently replaced the old machine with an off-the-shelf Hewlett/Packard Pavilion desktop computer, model p7-1515. This is a current model as of April 2013.

SPECS: Windows 8 OS, Intel Core i5-3470 processor (3.20 Ghz), Intel HD graphics 2500, 8 GB DDR3 memory, 1 TB SATA hard drive.

UPGRADES I WAS ABLE TO PERFORM MYSELF: The hard drive cage allows for the addition of just 1 additional hard drive and I have added a second 1 TB SATA drive. Memory has been increased with the addition of a second 8Gb RAM module. I downloaded and installed Apple QuickTime 7.7.3.

I've been working with this new computer for several days and have had no problems to report. None. I realize that 'acceptable performance' is often in the eyes of the user. My experience with the H/P Pavilion p7-1515 is that it is quite up to editing within Premiere Elements 11.

As this posting is not a 'question' per se, the board moderator might wish to relocated it. Just thought my experience might be worth sharing with users looking for a 'budget-friendly' desktop machine. Disclaimer: I am not associated with H/P and have no monetary interest in the sale of their products.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2013 9:38 AM   in reply to video4success

Windows 8 has given some people problems with Premiere Elements. But that may or may not be an issue for you.

The real wild card in your case is what format of video you are editing,. What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 10:12 AM   in reply to video4success

Thanks for reporting your success, video4! I too edit AVCHD on a dual-core computer with version 11 -- something I couldn't do with previous versions of the program. Adobe really tuned up the AVCHD engine this time out!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 11:30 AM   in reply to video4success

video4success wrote:

Windows 8 has presented no problems at all, Steve! I'm shooting 1920x1080p AVCHD with a Panasonic Lumix FZ200. I use Premiere Elements project preset 'AVCHD 1080p'. I render out (from Premiere Elements 11) using the 'Vimeo' template found under 'AVCHD'. I'm a happy guy!

Amazing camera, including when it is used for video.  If you like birds and wildlife shooting get the Panasonic brand tele extender lens.

In my experience, your work flow is both simple and reliable.  I've done it many times.  I too am happy!

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 5:31 PM   in reply to video4success

Lovely footage. That Leitz glass is obviously great, and especially for a zoom. Nice, and thank you for sharing the results.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points