Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

pan & zoom slide show in pre11

Apr 10, 2013 9:41 AM

I usually include 5 to 15 slides in a typical video project for my grandkids.  I am new to pre11.  I did not do any tutorials on slide shows (are there some good ones?)  What I have done is:

1.  move the stills into the video track

2.  select the first slide and do <tools><pan and zoom>

3.  Adjust the keyframes

4.  Move to the <next> slide, etc

If I play this part, I notice that the slide comes up still for about 1/4 second or so ane then starts the pan and zoom movement, and then at the end of that slide it get's still again for about 1/4 second.  This is irratating for me to watch.  Even if I put a 2 second cross dissolve transition between each slide, I still notice that delay in the movement.  I can go in to each slide and split the clip at the beginning and the end and delete out the still parts.  This makes the process very time consuming.  Am I missing something?  Is this what Adobe intended?

Your help would be appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2013 10:07 AM   in reply to csvideo

Do you have transitions between your slides?

Also, go back into the Pan & Zoom tool and check out the keyframes. By default, Premiere Elements sometimes includes a pause at the beginning and end of your pan & zoom unless you turn this feature off.

Even better, go to the clip's Adjustments panel and open the Keyframe Controls. Here you will see the actual keyframes, which you can spread out the beginning and end of your clip/photo.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 11:43 AM   in reply to csvideo

csvideo wrote:

......If I play this part, I notice that the slide comes up still for about 1/4 second or so ane then starts the pan and zoom movement, and then at the end of that slide it get's still again for about 1/4 second.  This is irratating for me to watch.  ......

Your help would be appreciated.

The still portion is adjustable.  The feature is not readily visable.  Click the tiny box in the upper left window.  A timing box pops up.  Screen shot  included below.Capture.JPG

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 3:17 PM   in reply to csvideo

When one has applied one of the Pan & Zoom, or just Pan, or Zoom Presets, to see the Keyframes, with the Clip, to which they were applied, click on Applied Effects, and then on the little "stopwatch" icon at the top of the Applied Effects Panel, to get a mini-Timeline:

PrE11_Pan&Zoom.png

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - for even more control, one can also manually Keyframe the Fixed Effects>Motion>Position (Pan) and Motion>Scale (Zoom), to get exactly what is needed. While the Presets can be handy for quick application of Pan and/or Zoom, I like the extra control of the manual Keyframes. Also, one can manually tweak the Presets' Keyframes, as needed.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 3:22 PM   in reply to csvideo

I put them at “10”  I guess that means 10/60 of a sec.

That "Hold" is in SMPT TimeCode (Hrs:Mins:Secs;Frames), so 10 is 10 Frames. With an FPS of 60, it will be 10/60th of a sec.

The idea of a Hold is that most often, an editor wants an Image to be static (i.e. held) for a set amount of time, and then begin to animate, however not always. Presets are very general, in nature, and there are several ways that one can easily apply one, then tweak to get a different result.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 3:41 PM   in reply to csvideo

On the right-hand side of the GUI, look for Applied Effects. See the updated image:

PrE11_Pan&Zoom.png

Just make sure that the Clip, to which the Effects Preset has been applied is Selected.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 4:28 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill,

What are you using for your screen captures where the text is so nice and the arrows straight.  The best I can do is wiggly circles!

Bill S

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 4:57 PM   in reply to whsprague

I am using Photoshop and Paths. For the "circles" and "boxes," I use one of the Marquee Tools (Selection), then Convert to Working Path, then on a New Layer, Stroke Path. Only tid-bit is that one cannot Stroke a Path on a Text Layer (that's why I create the New Layer, and usually one for each color). I use Layers, rather than placing the Stroke onto the Background Layer, so that I can Move that about, should I need to, and also so that I can do fine editing, like Erasing a few pixels, without messing up the Background Layer (the screen-cap).

Thanks for the compliment.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 5:06 PM   in reply to csvideo

In my example (think that was the L-R Pan Preset only), the "hold" Keyframe is about 10 Frames in. To eliminate that completely, I would just click+drag that Keyframe to the first Frame of the Clip.

Were I doing the Keyframing manually, I would set my first Keyframe (the duration that I wish to hold the static Still Image), then add additional Keyframes, as needed. Finally, and depending on the "look" that I wanted, I would Rt-click on each Keyframe, and change the Interpolation to say Bezier.

For the basics of manual Keyframing (infinitely powerful), I recommend Steve Grisetti's Basic Keyframing in the Learning Series on the Adobe PrE "sister-site," Muvipix.com. It's the best tutorial on PrE Keyframing (similar to, but mechanically different than, Keyframing in PrPro), that I have seen. Once the concept of Keyframing is realized, and then the mechanics of doing so in PrE has been learned, there is really no limit to the power and use of Keyframes. The Presets are basically instant ways to do that Keyframing, with but a click. However, the full power comes from either tweaking those automatic Preset Keyframes, or doing it manually. Nearly every Effect, though not all, can be Keyframed to be applied over time - that is what Keyframing is - an Effect (either Fixed, like Rotation, Position, Motion, etc., or applied, like Blur) can be altered over time.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

PS - don't feel bad about missing the Applied FX tab. That particular Tab was added in PrE 11, and I still have to search around a bit, as some things have moved, and some terms have been changed, with PrE 11.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 5:16 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

You seem to be challenged with a lot of the basic navigation and interface, csvideo. You may want to check out my free 8 part Basic Training tutorials on Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com. They will help you get many of these basic moves down.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 6:48 AM   in reply to csvideo

Excellent! I cannot think of a better learning resource, than Steve's various tutorials, published there.

I have not seen his Lynda.com video tutorials, but based on the materials that I have seen, i.e. the books and the various Learning Series products, feel that they will be great too. In my estimation, Steve does nothing poorly, hence my recommendations for his work.

Good luck, and just wait until you have a little time with Effects Keyframes - you will feel like the "Master of the Universe."

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points