Skip navigation
imfrustratedtothemax
Currently Being Moderated

Could not complete your request because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop

Apr 10, 2013 9:50 AM

Hey all, I have a single user who's PS (CS6) that seems to always (or atleast, a great majority of the time) corrupt large .psd documents. It doesn't seem to matter if she is working with previously created files, or starting from scratch. If she saves a file that is larger than about 900MB, it corrupts and nobody can open it anymore. I've tried removing the entire CS6 design suite, and reinstalling it, but the issue persisted. I have about 10 users on identical systems that have never had issues, and she never had issues until about two weeks ago. As far as I know, nothing major changed on the system when this started happening. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can stop the file corruption?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2013 10:18 AM   in reply to imfrustratedtothemax

Could be a bad hard disk, bad RAM, a buggy disk utility, or saving to a buggy network file server.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 1:35 PM   in reply to imfrustratedtothemax

Have you tried saving as a .psb or .tif? Or saving to a different drive on the suspect system (like to a thumb drive or other attached hd)?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 10, 2013 2:06 PM   in reply to imfrustratedtothemax

Is Photoshop up to date?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 15, 2013 8:56 AM   in reply to imfrustratedtothemax

Replace that user's machine.

Nuke the problem from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 9:48 AM   in reply to imfrustratedtothemax

The only magic numbers for file sizes are 2 Gig, 4 Gig, and everything over that.

It still sounds a LOT like a hard drive or system problem.

But could also be RAM or the motherboard.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 10:04 AM   in reply to imfrustratedtothemax

And I'm pretty confident that a problem that exists on a single system with a file size that isn't near anything that could cause problems... is almost certainly a problem with that system and not the software.   It still could be a utility program (like a font manager or antivirus).  But my bet is on the HD or RAM.

And no, only the most blatent RAM errors would show up under common use (and those would usually prevent the machine from passing POST).  More common RAM errors occur under heavy load and cause timing or voltage related problems that are not as easy to detect or repeat.

Swapping the system out would also let you track every piece of software that the user has added or modified, in addition to validating the hardware.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 6:04 PM   in reply to imfrustratedtothemax

Layers comprise most of the structure in a layered file, so are going to be most succeptable to file corruption.

For instance, the font manager corruption only happened when you had text layers in the file, because it was trying to modify the layer information after the file was written (and got it wrong).

The flattened composite image in the file is the least succeptable to file corruption, and thus the most likely to be recovered.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 6:12 PM   in reply to imfrustratedtothemax

imfrustratedtothemax wrote:

…We just had a customer submit us a peice of art with an identical issue…

Surely the client/customer has a backup file?  Just wondering…

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2013 2:08 AM   in reply to imfrustratedtothemax

I've just had this happen, but with a small (5MB) file. Looking at this forum it seems to be hapening quite a lot but I can't find a solution. Is there a way to find out how this happened and ensure it doesn't happen again?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 24, 2013 3:27 PM   in reply to mintcanary

Make sure you didn't save with one extension (e.g., .jpg) but with a different file type selected (e.g., PSD).

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2013 1:51 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I'm pretty sure that wasn't the cause in my case (am surprised that's possible though).

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 25, 2013 11:39 AM   in reply to mintcanary

It can happen, at least on a Windows system.  There's a neat little free viewer program called IrfanView that can detect that situation and offer to rename the file for you.

Another possible cause is that the file is simply corrupted, which could happen if Photoshop took an error during the saving of the file, or the disk drive has a problem.  Unfortunately there are usually no easy fixes for such things.

Make sure your copy of Photoshop is fully updated with Adobe's latest versions (Help - Updates... in the menus), and if you're on Photoshop CS6 or newer, Try disabling the background save feature of Photoshop CS6 to see if that might help.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 8, 2013 9:51 AM   in reply to imfrustratedtothemax

I received this error message with a TIF file recieved from a client using a PC. On my Mac (OS 10.8.4) I opened the file with Preview and then exported it. Preview could export it to a pdf, a jpg, and a png, all of which were then openable by Photoshop CS6.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points