Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Photoshop CS6  Extended 3d Camera Rotation Timeline Issue

Apr 10, 2013 2:44 PM

Tags: #3d #camera #animation #position #timeline

This is driving me daffy, and maybe it's obvious, but I hope someone might have an answer. I'm trying to create a timeline wherein the camera rotates in a circle around a 3d Object that is located at the origin of the Ground Plane. I click 3d Camera in the Timeline to create my beginning keyframe, I drag the time slider to the end of the timeline, and I Rotate the camera view around the Z (vertical central)  axis of the ground plane. I have the caps lock on so that the ground plane stays perfectly level as I rotate.)  As I am rotating the 3d Camera, the entire scene appears to rotate around the Z axis at the origin of the ground plane, which is what I want the animation to look like, but this is not the scene that plays back. When I play back the scene by clicking the play button or dragging the time slider, it rotates off-axis around some other center of rotation, with my 3d object often rotating out of the scene. Am I doing something wrong? Any insight would be appreciated.

J. Combs

P.S. --I tried the technique both on an imported 3d object (a head) and on Photoshop's preset Hat object with the same results.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2013 4:35 PM   in reply to Wintermute 001

Each camera keyframe will record the camera's location in world and its rotation about a pivot at that particular location, not the apparent pivot of when you were manipulating the view. You will not have recorded a circular camera path. The path will be straight lines between keyframes.

If you really want to make life hell and do the animation in Photoshop, then record a keyframe at each 5 to 10 degrees of rotation of the camera while you manipulate the view. That'll create a polygonal path that quite closely approximates a circle.

You could be tempted to keep the camera stationary and rotate Scene instead but the lights are outside of Scene so they would need to be rotated individually in order to create the illusion of only the camera moving.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 8, 2013 2:58 AM   in reply to conroy

I agree that animating the camera in Photoshop is indeed hell, but what is the alternative?

I've tried importing 3DS and Collada files and the camera animation is ignored.

I can import an object animation, but then the background IBL doesn't rotate.

FEATURE REQUEST: It would also be useful if you could save the camera animation, and use it as a preset.

Any advice most gratefully recieved :O)

Cheers

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points