Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Gradient problem

Apr 10, 2013 4:30 PM

Lately i've used illustrator and didn't understand why any gradient with one colour (100% and 0% opacity)  on black background looked so awful and gray. Light part of gradient has been wide but dark part of gradient has been short and between two parts was gray. I try to make gradient fine with more dark colours in black part. This problem i've in Mesh tool if i choose light colour among black, too. Interesting!! If i choose all points on the mesh and make black, then change color one point to cyan , mesh will be awful, but if i  change colour black to black for each black points  it becoming fine. Unbelievable!!

I try change colour setting but only with "Emulate Adobe Illustrator 6.0" it was working fine. But, anybody, please explain what's going on!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2013 6:45 PM   in reply to JustHater

Not sure what you are trying to achieve.  Some screen shots of your file(s) would be helpful.  A linear gradient is a lot different than a gradient mesh ( which sounds like you discovered already ).  The more you experiment, the more you will learn.  Some reading on the subject of gradients might be helpful.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 1:01 AM   in reply to JustHater

Is it Prof Color mode?

Prof Setup -> Custimize -> Simulate Black Ink and Preserve CMYK numbers

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 1:30 AM   in reply to JustHater

What kind of artwork are you doing?

Web or Screen design: use RGB color mode

For anything that will be printed: read up on color management. You'll need it desperately. "Emulate Illustrator 6" will basically let Illustrator do color management in the background using some standard settings that might or might not apply for you. But it won't be up to you to influence it. In case you're not from the US, Illustrators standard settings most probably won't apply for your needs.

Any chance you're speaking German? In that case there is some very good and free information on color management available.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 2:45 AM   in reply to JustHater

For future artworks, don't just change color mode, but use an appropriate document profile when setting up your new document. Otherwise you'll get into trouble again when using swatches.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 3:59 PM   in reply to JustHater

JustHater wrote:

22222.jpg

we get correct gradient right in CMYK.

By no means this will get you correct color in CMYK. Instead this will get you in very big trouble. This will cause the paper to be soaking wet in print and it will cause a lot more trouble if applied to detail because of misregistration.

So to cut the long story short: Don't use this in print.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2013 2:43 AM   in reply to JustHater

Adding a little color to black gives you a rich black, which is sometimes necessary. But in order to determine how much to add and which color exactly, you should talk to the printing vendor, because it depends on the stock used and on the equipment used to print. It also depends on what you want to achieve, because adding a little cyan will give you a rather cold black while adding a little magenta or yellow will make it rather warm and you have to be careful that it won't result in brown.

JustHater wrote:

Probably i must learn the color theory.)

Definitely you must learn it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points