Skip navigation
Johnny Castro43rd
Currently Being Moderated

Color Grading

Apr 10, 2013 6:08 PM

Hey there.  Rookie here

I need help coloring footage for this music vid I worked on. I pretty much suck at it.

Anyone can lead me in the right direction on getting this look from 17-23secs in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7UxqfaZEcg

All without killing the faces . Also I shot using the john hopes lightform C. Hope the doesnt limit the coloring too much.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2013 6:10 PM   in reply to Johnny Castro43rd

The outside shots look like sepia with a vignette.  Very easy in Magic Bullet Looks.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 6:16 PM   in reply to Johnny Castro43rd

Far better.  But it is a professional tool with a bit of a learning curve.  I'm not well versed enough to suggest how.  But if you hop on over to the SpeedGrade forums, you may find regulars who can make a suggestion.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 6:20 PM   in reply to Johnny Castro43rd

No prob.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 8:16 PM   in reply to Johnny Castro43rd

Simple to do in PPRO but your problem is ...we cant see your source footage and  you have no time to learn.

Just do something that pleases you and spend time learning CC and Grade for next project.

Tip.  Look at your example and analyse what the "look' is.    Grading is usually a combination of a lot of elements ( eg levels, chroma, gamma, hue, saturation, secondaries, tint...)

FWI - there is no magic bullet to grading!  You still have to know what you are doing to the mage and how to do it.

Of course ..you can apply a Magic Bullet Look ...which is basically someone elses creativity and vision...applied to your footage.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 9:04 PM   in reply to Johnny Castro43rd

Sure ...post it up.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2013 10:14 PM   in reply to Johnny Castro43rd

Looks like a pretty good "standard" for the genre grade to me.

A couple of scenes sem a little "hot" /bright technically and visually.

Well done anyway.

Everyone would do things differently and I am sure if you fettled around a bit..you would be able to do different things with the same footage.

Make it your own look is a suggestion I kight have .

I will take a look at your footage tomorrow if I have time.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 3:47 AM   in reply to Johnny Castro43rd

Back to the Sepia look. As Craig said, it can be easily done right in PrPro in several ways. E.g. you can simply apply Tint effect onto your footage and dabble with the 'Map To White' colour and 'Amount to Tint' settings. Or you can try to replicate the Sepia preset from After Effects (since not all effects are directly translated between AE and PrPro, you'll have to slightly modify effects you use in PrPro):

- apply Solid Composit effect, set 'Color' to e.g. '171, 110, 26' and 'Blending Mode' to 'Luminosity';

- apply Tint effect, set Map White To' to e.g. '255, 213, 153' and 'Amount to Tint' to 33%.

Adjust settings to taste, if need be.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points