Skip navigation
ricaldodepollo2
Currently Being Moderated

Typography with a thin stroke and a fat problem...

Apr 10, 2013 9:36 PM

Tags: #problem #typography #font #pdf #type #stroke

ok... <sigh>

My client chose this thick type that didnt look good and asked me to thin it out. I decided to do it by adding a 0.25 stroke inside all the fonts i didnt want bold (its like 70% of a 6 page document). When i was sending the pdf to the client i had to export it in pdfx1a because it was the only type of pdf that didnt show this weird shadow underneath. Well, document is on the printer and thats done, I hope it doesnt become a problem when printing. MY PROBLEM NOW is that i need to convert this document into a PDF that can be distributed through email. I have tried everything. I have converted to outlines and the file is huge. I have converted to jpg and that was just a plain mistake. I have used all the pdf formats and it still shows that weird shadow. Its like the type is embossed. PDFX1A is the only way it works well, but the file ends up huge in size. What is happening here? How can i fix this? please help!

thank you in advance...

Intermediate graphic designer with a rookie situation...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2013 3:19 AM   in reply to ricaldodepollo2

The problem is that the outline of each single character is output to the PDF as a *vector object*. So you now have a document with lots of vector data; and vector data cannot be compressed as easily as a bitmap (JPEG, for example, only works so well because it *throws away* large parts of the data).

In addition, you can see the difference between outlined and regular text *on screen* because these two types of object are drawn in a different way. Outlined strokes are drawn as normal vector art, one straight line at a time; "actual" text, on the other hand, is drawn with super-optimized routines, both for efficiency and speed, and to render as legible as possible. (But -- usually -- the difference disappears when you are outputting on a device with a sufficiently high resolution.)

Removing the outline strokes from the text will help immensely. Of course the text will look slightly different, but only when compared directly to the printed matter. On-screen display will be much better and your PDF size will be a lot smaller.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points